Auto Question

Matt_Cardiff

Dec 19, 2019
I've had the new Leon (FR 1.0 TSI DSG) for about a week now. Something I'm finding a bit strange is when I'm approaching a junction, I start to brake, and then it's almost as if the car changes back up a gear as it starts going faster again even though I'm braking - so I need to brake even harder to stop the car. It's a really strange feeling and not something my mark 3 DSG did.

I've read a few threads on here about the ECO setting and auto braking etc, is anyone else with a DSG experiencing this? Is there a setting I can fiddle with to stop it?

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
I noticed something a bit similar, like a reduction of braking force, but I have the 1.5eTSI.

I remember reading/watching a review that also mentioned it.

It believe it happens when the car stops using the regenerative braking, and just uses the disc brakes. Applying a bit more pressure to the pedal quickly remedy's the problem

There's no setting I know of to disable it, as it is part of the mHev system, but I've got used to it to the point I don't think about it or notice it anymore

Matt_Cardiff

Dec 19, 2019
Yes that's it. It can take you by surprise when approaching a junction. Thanks for the info, hopefully I'll just get used to it. Also hoping that when the brakes wear in a bit it will become less noticeable as they will bite better on the first brake.

dts0205

Feb 11, 2021
I noticed this a few time in my E-Hybrid. I used to think it was when the engine started after using pure electric power. But I've not noticed any pattern to it happening. Between that and the lane departure pulling me sometimes for no reason, I'm convinced the car is trying to kill me :)

Tommy95

Jul 1, 2014
Coventry
I was the same when I collected mine (1.5etsi) after having a Mk3 DSG it is very strange but you do get used to it. Still catches me out when the car is in eco and you approach traffic so it turns the engine off and coasts so you loose all engine braking and then the regeneration suddenly stops! Cant say its boring to drive with it constantly trying to kill us ey! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: dts0205

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
Same but Hybrid here and it is normal, mainly due to switching engines and or recuperative braking. Mainly for the first 1-2 km from start is more noticeable let s say.

HarryJ

Feb 27, 2021
I won't lie I've had my car just over a month now (1.5 eTSI) and I still sometimes approach a corner or junction abit too quickly because in my head I'm breaking hah. Just takes getting used to!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.