Battery Safety Switch On Ibiza 2.0 TDI FR

Telephonewire

Apr 11, 2016
2010 Seat Ibiza 2.0 TDI FR

Okay - car was involved in a light accident which set off drivers airbag and seat belt pre-tensioners.

Car is currently at local garage being repaired.

Immediately after the accident the car would not start. Turning the key caused the solenoid on the starter motor to click but it wouldn't turn the engine over. All other dashboard lights are on as normal.

On investigation the main 12v feed from the battery directly to the starter motor was at 0v! hence the reason why the starter motor would not turn over. The battery is located in the boot on this model.

On investigation of the battery in the boot it turns out it has a 'Battery Safety Terminal' which cuts off the main 12v feed to the engine bay in the event of an accident. The main 12v supply supplies the starter motor, power steering and alternator.

You will have to cut and paste this link and remove the spaces in 'h t t p' to see the image..
Apparently I can't post external links until I have posted 15 posts!!
h t t p://109.228.0.126/batterysafetyterminal.jpg

The 'Battery Safety Terminal' is the device in blue which I have circled in red.

There are two small wires going to it which have the same connector as the airbag and the seatbelt pre-tensioners so I'm pretty sure it's all part of the airbag system.

I initially thought the car would start again once the airbag fault codes were cleared but now I think there must be a small explosive device in there and hence I need to replace it with a new part?

Does anyone know anything about this device and if it's reusable or if it needs to be replaced?

My local Seat garage could not find it in their parts system when I rang up for a price for a new one!

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise