Bete Noir's Ibiza Mk2 GTI 2.0 16V Track Project

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
319
8
Last Resort
Another eBay bargain I picked-up was a Safety Devices roll cage. It was listed by Safety Devices as being a NOS item for a mk1 Ibiza, but the answers I got to a couple of questions suggested it was much more likely to be for a mk2. It came compete with a mounting kit, which was all in place after I paid for a day of a welder's time. At this stage I only left the main hoop bolted-in to the car to make access easier.


This was primed,


and painted Kiwi


More people seem to choose to paint roll cages in different colours compared to the car, but I love the way it looks with everything being Kiwi.
 

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
319
8
Last Resort
Clearly as this is planned to be a track car, being clean and shiny is not top of the list of priorities, however I realised that Hammerite Zingy Lime looks, in the shop at least, quite similar to Kiwi. I bought a tin and tried it out on a rotten wing.


Side-by-side the difference is clear, but that is not to say that it is of no use.

I spent an unpleasant afternoon with my head inside each of the wheelarches in turn, giving them a good clean, followed by a couple of coats of paint. The outcome is very satisfying.
Before


After


At the front end I removed the freshly fitted uprights, and I took the wings off, so I could do a proper job.


 

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
319
8
Last Resort
Lying under the car with the rear axle out of the way, it was obvious that one of the exhaust heatshields had seen better days.


I cleaned-off the surface corrosion, and riveted aluminium patches into place in the areas needing repair. A couple of coats of silver Smoothrite had it looking more like it should again, not that anyone but me will ever see it.


While the exhaust mounting brackets were off the car I replaced the mounting rubbers with Powerflex. Lacking a Powerflex of the right width for the rearmost mounting, I used two thinner parts instead.


 

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
319
8
Last Resort
With the rear arches now looking clean but empty, I was motivated to get on with the rear suspension. Powerflex bushes were fitted to the rear beam.


The rear uprights were assembled with Powerflex top mounts, and bump stops from the same company. I had to cut the bump stops down, although whether that is because I bought the wrong parts I do not know.


I struggled for a while to get the rear axle back into place, before I sussed that it is easier if you attach it to the struts first, and then attach the front mountings, rather than the other way around.


 
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.