Blower Issue

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
When my interior blowers are set on level 2 the fan speed seems fairly weak, then all of a sudden it will increase in power. It keeps doing this on and off.... seems to be only when am driving so it's fairly difficult to get a video.

Anyone else had this with the manual air conditioning?

Woksin

Dec 13, 2017
Leicestershire
When my interior blowers are set on level 2 the fan speed seems fairly weak, then all of a sudden it will increase in power. It keeps doing this on and off.... seems to be only when am driving so it's fairly difficult to get a video.

Anyone else had this with the manual air conditioning?

Is this with manual or the dual zone climate control?

Cerfwo

Feb 10, 2018
I have manual control and did notice this. Have only used level 2 a little bit so far, I'll try it a bit more and see how it goes then report back.

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
Glad am not the only one!

Ironically it's not done it since.... seems intermittent

Cerfwo

Feb 10, 2018
Still happening with me... going to contact the dealers tomorrow.
I've not had much more of a chance to test it but it is definitley an issue. Is it just cold or hot too? Keep us informed with what the dealer says.

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
I've not had much more of a chance to test it but it is definitley an issue. Is it just cold or hot too? Keep us informed with what the dealer says.

Not tested to see if its just hot/cold or both.

The problem is that because it's intermittant not been able to get a video yet.... I know dealers/car companies like video evidence.

Cristian CH

Mar 19, 2018
I seem to have the same issue, but actually i think this is a feature.
It seems to happen only in gear and in engine brake after 2-3 seconds. My guess this is connected to the alternator having higher voltage in engine braking. I also suspect that it is connected to the state of charge of the battery (e.g. how much you use start/stop).
Please confirm if you have the same opinion.

Last edited:

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
I can't confirm the issue, but I can confirm that the voltage is higher during engine braking - about 14.8 V. Otherwise, most of the time it's about 12.2 V. (I've got an USB charger that also happens to measure voltage.)

Cerfwo

Feb 10, 2018
Tested on level 2 today and it definitley increases during engine braking or just slowing down without touching the pedals. A bit annoying as it is a noticeable issue during use. I can't see them being able to fix it though if it is related to the electrics.

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
It could be "fixed" by inserting something like this before the speed regulator: http://www.linear.com/product/LT1085-Fixed ... but I doubt it's worth the trouble. One could think of this, instead, as an advanced intelligent feature - the car is converting it's kinetic energy into something useful (more air blowing), instead of just losing it as waste heat in engine or brakes. ;)

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
I notice it more and more now, its bloody irritating. Never had this issue on any other new car, or any car to be honest.

Going to contact my dealer tomorrow as it needs to be sorted.

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
I should know this, but I don’t... Does the Ibiza ‘recover’ energy when braking / coasting to charge the battery? Ours has the dual zone climate control, and I haven’t seen / heard any of the symptoms mentioned here.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I now understand why I got a blast of cool air at the 2 tightest turns on my commute for the last 3 years. Heavy braking gives the Climatronic more power. Who'd have thought?

Last edited:

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
I didn’t know, and thought I should... so I googled it:

http://www.seat.com/car-terms/r/regeneration-process.html

Looks like our cars do have the technology, but I don’t think it should be noticeable in day to day use?
Having said that, turning on the heated rear window or A/C always used to cause a momentary dip in revs on a lot of cars, so perhaps this is the same effect but in reverse...?

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
Update from SEAT UK......

They have informed my dealership that there are no known faults and it's just a 'feature' of the car so they won't be doing anything. The dealership tested several Arona and Ibiza on site with manual climate control and they all do the same apparently.

I have had quite a few brand new cars over the years and NONE of them have ever done this.

Looks like we will just have to get used to it.

rustyd0g

Jul 31, 2017
Edinburgh
Update from SEAT UK......

They have informed my dealership that there are no known faults and it's just a 'feature' of the car so they won't be doing anything. The dealership tested several Arona and Ibiza on site with manual climate control and they all do the same apparently.

I have had quite a few brand new cars over the years and NONE of them have ever done this.

Looks like we will just have to get used to it.
Thanks for the update. Noticed this for the first time recently as the weather's been warmer and I've had the blower turned beyond 1. It is quite annoying but I guess there's not much we can do.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Oh it's a "feature". At least it doesn't have safety implications, like the power steering failure "feature"on the Toledo, or other stuff that didn't cause a recall either.

Oh well your AC is more like Clinatronic now, that varies the blowers all the time.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.