Bonnet Front

pedxxx

Nov 23, 2012
When I first bought my Leon 9 years ago now, it was in the garage soon after and I was told it had been in an accident.

I do suspect he was right, but at the end of the day it has survived this long and passed all the MOTs.

The reason he gave was that the front bonnet edge was not flush with the top of the plastic bumper (of the same colour).

The bonnet actually sits forward by about 2mm.

The thing is I've kept my eye on other examples of this car. Two out of the three I have seen look like mine. I have to admit it doesn't seem to be right but I was wondering if others have this?

pedxxx

Nov 23, 2012
See attached picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20210424_173055.jpg
    IMG_20210424_173055.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 90

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
My Leon has had low speed supermarket shunts at the front, inherited I hasten to add.

I have had the front bumper off to sort a few things and frankly the wings are fixed in place but everything else seems to be 'adjustable'.

Very minor damage is evident and I suppose the point is it takes not very much to screw the alignment of the panels, with everything bolting or screwing to everything else, wings, fillers, undertray, bumper, front mount, lights, radiator trim bit and bonnet catch mount. I might have missed one or two.
All those things fix together with play... The top of the bumper will move forwards and backwards if the screws are slackened off, not that they are very tight, or can be made very tight.

pedxxx

Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I had a look this morning. Managed to get the four torx screws off. However there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust them. They seemed to be fixed into a certain position when tightened. This tells me that the problem is what the screws are actually attached to. This section needs adjusting somehow. This is the cross piece where the bonnet catch is. Perhaps this is too much effort.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Everything has some play and it adds up. yes you might have to undo a number of things, Also the bonnet hinges may well have some adjustment, I haven't checked.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members