Boot Rattle

scooter1556

Mar 24, 2013
As in the boot lid or inside the boot? Probably something in the spare wheel well under the false floor or the parcel shelf not in properly. Your guess is as good as mine!

WJs

MeepMeep
Oct 26, 2006
Netherlands
I have something like this also, I took everything out of the boot (space wheel, etc). It kinda sounds like the exhause is banging against something, but it isnt that. Couldnt see anything either when then car was at the garage.

Getting kinda annoyed with.

azizfares

Jun 12, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
I think its from the back seats where there is a lock like the one of the door. I am not sure yet but i will try and grease it, besides the driver's door is doing the same sound, its some kind of a clicking sound. i will grease that too and see what happens.

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
Yeah I had the same thing with my FR! Never got to the bottom of why it happened despite taking everything out of the boot - including the spare wheel and raised boot flooring (the polystryene foam stuff). Came to the conclusion that it must have either been the rear seat hinges or the seat folding locks, or from inside the tailgate itself.....

In the end of the day I didn't think the noise was worth complaining about as the local dealer had problems dealing with obvious warranty issues, let alone a small rattle from the boot area....

azizfares

Jun 12, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
Yeah I had the same thing with my FR! Never got to the bottom of why it happened despite taking everything out of the boot - including the spare wheel and raised boot flooring (the polystryene foam stuff). Came to the conclusion that it must have either been the rear seat hinges or the seat folding locks, or from inside the tailgate itself.....

In the end of the day I didn't think the noise was worth complaining about as the local dealer had problems dealing with obvious warranty issues, let alone a small rattle from the boot area....

Do you think greasing it will solve the sound?

WJs

MeepMeep
Oct 26, 2006
Netherlands
Dont think so, grease wont "damp" (correct english word?) the metal on metal hit.
I think you can solve it with some tape, so it doesnt slam metal to metal.

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
Greasing the seat hinges and locks would be a BIG long-shot, but as long as you are careful with the lubricant it's worth a try, I guess.

I just ended up ignoring the noise! Think it was most probably coming from inside the tail gate, but despite carefully securing all visible cables inside the tailgate with cable ties the noise persisted....so I gave up! lol

azizfares

Jun 12, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
I was thinking that the grease will ease the friction between the metals that's why i thought i would use it. I am going to give it a try today anyway and see what will happen. If it doesn't work we'll have to think of another way because contrary to BaldyDave i cant withstand the noise [:@]

Seat-Ibiza-jake

Sep 16, 2012
I had the same issue, took the car to the dealer as it was doing my head in. Was the boot latch on the boot lid where it clicks into place where you shut the boot.

They put some grease on it and no more rattle/clicky sound!

happy days.

Last edited:

azizfares

Jun 12, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
I just greased the boot hinge, the rear seats hinges, and the hinge on the driver's door, i just need to test it now and get back to you. Hope the sound will be solved like yours did Jake.

Seat-Ibiza-jake

Sep 16, 2012
wahooooooo! I hate rattles! I can live with them for like two minutes! then I'm like "RIGHT THE CAR MUST COME APPART! I NEED TO GET RID OF THIS RATTLE!!!!!"

topleya

MK5 Ibiza FR Black 1.2TSI
Nov 23, 2007
I have this same issue on my new FR. Doing my head in.

At first I though the boot wasn't closing correctly, but I have no idea what is going on. Sometimes I go out for a drive an not sound, other times it's every pot hole or bump in the road.

(sorry to bring back an old post, but better than starting a new one)

JoshRedCupra

May 11, 2015
Essex
Topleya I think your problem is the same as what mine was! The boot rubs on the boot lining when going over bumps/potholes! All you need to do is lubricate the boot lining and it should sort it!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.