Both key fobs not working

Toledo TSI

Sep 20, 2017
One of my car keys stopped working last week and this morning when I took the car for a service the second key stopped working as I got to the garage. I was told it was just a simple battery replacement,
On picking my car up at dinnertime I was told both fobs need replacing.
Is this a common problem with Toledo Fobs or is it just my bad luck?

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Not had a SEAT key fail (out of 6 of them) in the last 5 years. Touch wood.

I would get a second opinion.

Toledo TSI

Sep 20, 2017
Seat have ordered two new ones for me and the key I am using at the moment is now showing as "Replace your key battery" on the dash.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Only days later and I had one fail too as I tried to lock the car in a public place 20 miles from home (and the spare key).

Emergency re-start procedure from the manual worked though.

Battery change has restored the key.

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
I had this same issue last week: I managed to open the car with the key fob but when I tried to start the car I had the message that no key detected. Pressed the buttons on the key fob and LED light wouldn't illuminate. Used the spare key to start the car.
Changed the battery in the key fob with a new CR2025 battery and it's been fine since. Just seems a but strange that the original battery hasn't lasted that long. I'm not sure if this is normal with cars that have keyless start as I understand that the key fob is always communicating with the car. I've had keyfobs in the past where the battery has lasted for 4 years +

Toledo TSI

Sep 20, 2017
My car was away for a week at the garage, both fobs were replaced, the car had to be re-programmed and the push button start cable was replaced. The garage said that they had replaced fobs in the past and also that the life span of the batteries is only 2 years on keyless.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
2nd fob battery died now 18 months appears to be what I'm getting from both keys. Changed the battery, and normal operation resumed.

Reactions: Toledo TSI

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
2nd fob battery died now 18 months appears to be what I'm getting from both keys. Changed the battery, and normal operation resumed.

That's interesting, must be because of KESSY. I bought 4 CR2025 batteries as they work out cheaper but I also had some CR 2032 batteries which do fit in the key fob but it's a tighter fit as the CR 30232 batteries are thicker (3.2mm thick,vs 2025 at 2.5mm thick) and should last longer. Currently using the 2025, might use a 2032 on the spare fob when that battery dies.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
@Toledo TSI "My car was away for a week at the garage, both fobs were replaced, the car had to be re-programmed and the push button start cable was replaced. The garage said that they had replaced fobs in the past and also that the life span of the batteries is only 2 years on keyless."

Since every one else just changed batteries, can you name the dealer please ...so we can all avoid them as they sound less than competent ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members