Bought my 1st car a 2007 Toledo 1.9tdi, would be grateful for any advice!

Tomo876

Oct 26, 2015
North Wales
An odd choice for a first car, I know! Not everyones cup of tea but im a big fan of the quirky shape haha! First 3 weeks have been brilliant car drives excellently, few small niggles though. Firstly the passenger side door rattles when revs are low and when driving on bumpy roads, i THINK the door is rattling against the side of the dash, when door is open even slightly there is no rattle. Secondly theres a fault with the factory fitted rear parking sensors, one long beep when i put in reverse. Is replacing an easy enough job? Any advice is much appreciated!
Thanks, Tom :D

Last edited:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
My first car was an Austin Metro Knightsbridge if I remember rightly and insurance was about the £750 mark. Can't help you with your query though I'm afraid. A continuous tone you say? Nope sorry, no idea this time.

Tomo876

Oct 26, 2015
North Wales
Cant say I've seen many of them around! Had a quick google, seems like they were quite popular in the 80's. I paid 740 to insure the toledo, have had to go with a policy that includes a black hox for the first 3 months so will have to take it easy for a while haha! :whistle: Yep a long continuous beep when i first put it in reverse, thinking a sensor may be faulty! Thanks!

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
I'm not sure on the exact cause of the rattle so I can only suggest removing removing trim parts and applying sound deadening foam in any area's you believe are affected, As for the parking sensors first port of call is to check the sensors themselves a continuous beep could suggest that something is obstructing the sensor if this is not the case then with the ignition on select reverse and place you finger onto the sensors you can generally feel a slight buzzing if the sensor is working correctly.

If none of that works then I would suggest booking the vehicle in unless you are comfortable removing the rear bumper and carrying out wiring checks.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Black hox, as in a record your speed malarkey? That would kill me. I like to think I drive as responsibly as possible but that does include velocities of certain magnitudes which could be construed as speeding. That advice about the sensors sounds good. They must have a resistance value which if it goes high impedance or short circuit throws off the reserving module.

Tomo876

Oct 26, 2015
North Wales
I've finally found the source of the rattle. Sounded like plastic on plastic so I got a friend to drive me along a bumpy road so i could pin point the source. Seems like the door was vibrating against the side of the dash, not really what I expected to be causing the noise! I now drive around with a folded tea towel inbetween the door and the dash, glad to be rid of that maddening rattle. Fmxvxx I tried what you suggested, 2 of the sensors are a bit corroded and wont clean so its possible that might be causing the problem, Thanks! Will get them looked at and order 2 new sensors. Hahaha yes the record your speed malarkey :cry: arrives next week so am enjoying my last few days of freedom. Saved me £200 ish on the insurance though!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.