Brake/indicator light failure

Davey2003Toledo

Dec 24, 2014
Hello folks! Have a weird problem with my 2003 (Mark II) Toledo.

When I try the right indicator it flicker very rapidly and causes the brake lights to flicker.

What's worse when I put my foot on the brake pedal none of the brake lights come on but the indicator light on the right side turns on.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

Any ideas much appreciated

Many thanks

Dave

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Time-consuming.

If you have had any work done in the boot, or anything big and awkward in there that has maybe scraped against the sidewall, then look in those areas first.

If you have recently changed a stop/tail light bulb, make sure it is in the right way round. They should only go in one way, as they have offset bayonet lugs, but it is possible to fit them the wrong way round and this can cause all kinds of weirdness.

First thing to do is to look at the bulb holder and the connector - it may just need to be cleaned. There is a removable section of the boot lining covering the rear of the bulb holder so take that off, undo the electrical connector and see if it is clean - use contact cleaner spray if it looks dirty or corroded. Also check for loose wires in the connector. The lampholder being plastic, the earth connection is taken in as one of the wires in this connector.

The earth point for the rear end of the car is inside the lefthand (nearside) boot compartment, behind the lining. There are four plastic caps that retain the lining and they are push-fit with serrated ridges, so they are likely to break when you lever them out (there's no other way). They will need to be replaced if they break, but one of the parts dealers should be able to supply you with new ones (Sere Motors in the dealer section, or try GSF or similar). The metal boot wall is the earth connection, and there will be a threaded post welded to the wall with a wire and tag held down by a nut. Check that the nut is tight and that the wire isn't broken somewhere.

Davey2003Toledo

Dec 24, 2014
OK thanks much appreciated. Looks like a garage job for me (car needs an MOT anyway) as this is way beyond my abilities, although I will check the bulbs anyway (haven't really changed them recently).

Incidentally the centre brake light light (the high one) has not been going on for much longer. Is there any remote chance these problems could be related or am I completely on the wrong track here?

Cheers

Dave

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The center brake light is 32 LED's so if it has failed completely then it is almost certainly a wiring problem. It shares the same earth point as the rear light clusters so that won't be the problem, since they were still working. It is in the boot lid so possibly the flexible wiring leading into the boot is where it has failed?

It's not particularly easy to get to, as the LED's are never supposed to fail and don't need regular replacement. You'd have to get the lining off the boot lid interior in order to get at the connector and test for continuity or the presence of 12V when the lamp is supposed to be on.

Do the reversing lights and rear foglamps still work?

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Well, since they are in the boot lid too and there is only one earth wire going into the boot lid, it must be a separate wiring failure.

Davey2003Toledo

Dec 24, 2014
OK think I'm just going to have to leave this one to the garage to look at when they do the MOT on thursday but I do appreciate the input. If anything I'll know if the mechanics are trying to pull a 'fast one' on me if they start talking about something else though the guy I use has been pretty straight and is known locally to be good. I'll pass on some of what's said to him when it goes in and see what he says... Many, many thanks much appreciated...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.