Brake Line Part Numbers

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
While removing the rear axle today I had to disconnect the brake lines to the rear calipers. They were seized in place so I had to disconnect the back of the main hard lines next to them that run the length of the car. The driver side came out fine but the passenger side was seized to the pipe and while I was loosening it I could see it twisting the pipe. I immediately stopped, cleaned up the union with a wire brush and gently grabbed the pipe with some grips but it was still twisting the pipe and I ended up with a crack in the old pipe.

I'm trying to find a part number for the main hard line from the union in front of the axle up towards the front end but I can't find one anywhere. I was hoping I could fix it with a compression fitting but it seems they are a no go these days. So my alternatives are replace the line with an OEM one, but the brake line kit with the copper pipe, flaring tool, unions, pipe bender etc, or try and find a pipe of similar length with the unions already fitted, and just get a pipe bender to shape it to the car. Any help would be appreciated as I'm stuck on axle stands until it's done.

On a brighter note, I got my rear axle off.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Having removed these numerous times on breakers and literally a few weeks ago on my own LCR i can assure that undoing those ******* brake unions without them twisting to destruction is virtually impossible.
Like yourself I also needed the passenger side and contemplated making my own new one but it soon became quite expensive once you tally up the parts and tools required.

Fortunately i was informed that you can buy them complete off the shelf and ended up placing an order with TPS at the start of this week as it happens.

The part number you require is : 1J0614741AC - nearside rear hard brake line - only £22.02 which I was very impressed with.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Yellow fr

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
You sir are a legend. There is a TPS a few miles from me, I'll head over there tomorrow. I was getting really worried because it has a special union that seems to be flared and sealed from the factory, so no way to use it. Even after getting it off the car and attempting to free it it's stuck solid.

Attachments

• 20200710_191039.jpg
    20200710_191039.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 20200710_191050.jpg
    20200710_191050.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 107

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
When they look like that they is no way off getting it off without breaking it
That’s not a bad price for the brake pipe as at work we charge £50 for a pipe making up and fitting plus removal off old one and bleed plus fluid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
TPS are only selling to people with a trade account so I ended up buying one online. £24.50, ended up £35 with VAT and Postage but at least it's on the way.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
It's still not a bad price considering the cost of replacing other certain parts on these cars.

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
Yeah, I can't complain, It's going to take me a couple of days to prep the rear axle for the new bushes anyway. I'm contemplating getting standard bushes. I know they are a pain to fit, but I was reading something on a forum about the rear suspension and it's a pivot point that's designed to flex. They were saying that it will just chew up the polybushes until it allows enough movement to flex like it should. Anyone got any experience with this? I know it's off topic but it was an interesting read.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I've been mentally battling for weeks over which bushes to install in my rear beam as yes like you say the stock ones are supposed to be under some resistance plus have also been designed to indice a small amount of passive rear steering.

For me, cheap poly rear beam bushes are an absolute no go as I cherish any remaining comfort and built in compliance.
Also this type of bush simply acts as a pivot and do rapidly wear out contradictory to what many people believe just because the bush is stiffer.

The only aftermarket bush in this area ive taken into consideration is the Superpro offering.
I'm a huge fan of their products and these are incredibly easy to fit BUT they basically cost the same as new genuine LCR bushes so kinda torn at the moment.

But yes the stock bushes are a bitch to install though!

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I’ve had many a poly bush in a rear axel and never had to replace due to them been torn up
Put grease on the hole in the axel and the new bush and the bolt if std and also the metal tube that the bolt goes through in a poly bush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members