Brown gunk in the engine bay?

phsroberts

We've had our 1.4 FR about a week now and every time we use it, it smells of burning oil, which I guess is just the coatings burning off all the components etc. But thought I'd better check the oil anyway, which was pretty much on empty...after only 100 miles (I doubt the car has used it...most likely not filled by dealer).

Under the bonnet, there is big blobs of brown gunk on a lot of the white bodywork, I checked the rest of the car and there is also quite a lot under the rear arches etc. it's even under the bonnet insulation, so it must have happened at the factory before the engine was fitted etc.

Anyone got a clue what it is?

Could anyone else with one check to see if it's on theirs?

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
I'll have a ganders shortly. wrt the oil - mines on 250, just give it a quick check. Oil is clean still and filled correctly. Not a good show from the dealer mate.

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Surely the oil is filled at the factory during the engine test phase?

Something seems odd.

Not teaching you to suck eggs mate, but was the car on totally level ground with the engine not having run for 30 mins?

I used to have a 1.4 Vw Scirocco and that was a bugger for checking the oil on. Seemed to take ages for all the oil to drain back down to the sump.

I think the brown gunk will be the waxoyl type substance that they spray in various box panels or areas prone to impacting stones and then rust.
Andy

Last edited:

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
There isnt a whole lot of space around the engine bay in this 1.6tdi. Where i can see i cant see any obvious signs of junk.

phsroberts

Not teaching you to suck eggs mate, but was the car on totally level ground with the engine not having run for 30 mins?

I think the brown gunk will be the waxoyl type substance that they spray in various box panels or areas prone to impacting stones and then rust.
Andy

I just followed the manual for checking the oil, which says to get it up to running temp, then leave for a few minutes and check. Ill try giving it a bit longer to drain maybe.

The brown gunk does seem to be that kind of stuff, but maybe it's just been VERY messily applied!

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Come on guys, give the oil a chance to drain down before panicking!

Like I said, my 1.4 Scirocco was EXACTLY the same, first time I checked the oil I thought it was low. Then I tried it again later the same day and it was bang on 1/2 way between upper/lower marks.

Andy

phsroberts

Yeah, I think taking it to the dealer for low oil is extreme. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few weeks though to chek it's not an issue with the car.

I might pop by and ask if they know what the gunk is and if I can remove it though, it's quite unsightly splattered on all over the nice new paint, albeit in out of sight areas.

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
We've had our 1.4 FR about a week now and every time we use it, it smells of burning oil, which I guess is just the coatings burning off all the components etc. But thought I'd better check the oil anyway, which was pretty much on empty...after only 100 miles (I doubt the car has used it...most likely not filled by dealer).

Under the bonnet, there is big blobs of brown gunk on a lot of the white bodywork, I checked the rest of the car and there is also quite a lot under the rear arches etc. it's even under the bonnet insulation, so it must have happened at the factory before the engine was fitted etc.

Anyone got a clue what it is?

Could anyone else with one check to see if it's on theirs?

I'm guessing you mean this stuff - found in the engine bay of a MK3 1.4 TSI I have as a courtesy car whilst mine has its bumper replaced. The white really shows it up as you can see. I've not noticed this stuff in the engine bay of my 1.6 TDI.

IMG_0707_zpscc3b22bb.jpg

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
Not a clue about the gunk. Is pretty unsightly though. Almost looks like overfill of something. To me it isn't greasy enough to be lubricant or such. It's pretty well caked on in this one. It'll need a good degrease or scrub to get it off this one at least.

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
Wrt the oil. As far as I'm aware. Mine hasn't in 350miles, unless it was over filled. I'd still be concerned if its burnt loads off or hasn't been filled proper in the first place. Worth keeping an eye on at least. If its still low when warm so soon after purchase I'd be inclined to think it hasn't been right in the first place.

Rikwaite

Hi

Mines 150ps fr and still smells a little oily after 300 miles.but no oil in the engine bay. Might be worth a visit back to the dealer to get it checked out .

The dealers test fr I took for a drive really smelt after I drove it. I gave it plenty as I wanted to see the diff bet my old fr170 mk compared to the 150 ps mk3. It only had 20 miles on the clock but thought if I m buying one then I need to see what it can do. When I parked up to let my wife hv. Go there was almost a smokey haze in the car. The engine must be coated in something. It could be that. ??

Let us know yr outcome

Rik

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Just has a look in my engine bay for this (4 day old 150 TDI) and I can't see any although I can see it on the underside of the car.....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.