Building your own interface/cable

ScoobyChris Mk2

I have one of these and am very happy with it. However, it doesn't work with v4 of VAG-COM if that's important to you :)

Chris

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
According to his website, he usually desptaches them the Monday after receiving your order...
I emailed after placing my order, and got a prompt reply & delivery too.

Have just ordered the rest of the bits from Maplin, couldn't find enough bits to nick at work :rolleyes:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
UPDATE: Just built mine this weekend - and it worked first time.

I'd forgotten which way round LEDs fit - it was 50/50 whether I got them the right way round, but they worked. Shorter leg is the negative side....I think !

Granted, it doesn't look overly pretty, mainly because of my blobby soldering and absence of a case, but it seems to do the job.
Also I had to remove the backshell from the PC-end D-Type, as the one I bought was quite bulky and stopped the connector mating properly to my laptop.

I just need to get the full version of VAG-COM now, the shareware version is a bit limited...

Last edited:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Another update:

After having trouble opening the ABS controller, Uwe from Rosstech notes that some Bosch ABS controllers won't work with v3xx of VAGCOM. They will work with v404.0, but you need a better interface - the self built opto-isolator jobby from Andy Whittaker won't do it.
Seems to open everything else though.

Uwe's response to my ABS query

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I don't think you can - read the notes on RossTech's vagcom pages, I'm sure it's discussed there somewhere.
Got a feeling you have to use PCMCIA ?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Maybe it will work, I was just quoting from this page on RossTech's site:
If you have a newer laptop which doesn't have a Serial Port, then you must get a USB interface. Add-on USB<->Serial Converters are not supported! USB interfaces require Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP. They will not work with Windows 95 or NT4! USB interfaces work best with Windows XP.

FASTER

Feb 18, 2005
Nottingham
parts list???

any body got a parts list for the interface? the one thats for sale as a kit as i want to see what bits i need and what i can get from my local store to save a few quid! im gonna get the board and try my own! download demo software and do it on the cheap :)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hi Mexicupra
Perhaps you could ask this in a new thread, this thread is to discuss interfaces & cables...(but maybe you should check out the Rosstech site first to see what vag-com is ;) )

krasy

cable schematics

Where can I find schematics for serial cable for VAG-COM ?

taglo

Oct 7, 2002
Athens, Greece
Visit site
Ok, sorry if this has been asked already but I couldnt find the answer. Can I use my SPS1 dongle with VAG COM? As you know the SPS1 switch has a round female conector on the back of it. Can I use an ordinary serial cable and cut the "big" side off and connect it to a male conector so it fits the SPS1 switch??? If yes, which pins do I connect?

I hope I am making sense...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members