Burning smell/strange strong smell

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
Strange burning/strange smell coming from inside the cockpit. It's a bocanegra. Seems to be mainly when in low gears and in slow moving traffic. Also noticed my coolant is constantly needing topping up everyday as its falling below the minimum. Ideas?

Sent from my fingers using Muscle power HD

Deleted member 49882

Take it to dealer. Dont know what it could be, new one on me. Did you get the oil issue sorted?

scooter1556

Mar 24, 2013
Could be a lot of things. Maybe a coolant leak onto a part of the exhaust/engine, head gasket?? As above, probably best to let the dealer take a look if you are using that much coolant and getting worrying smells.

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
It's been in 3 times to them and they've said they can't find where the smell is coming from, so I've now told them about the coolant leaking. Bloody useless.

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
Contact Seat Customer Services and complain - sometimes this may get a dealer to take your issue more seriously. Also think about using a different dealer if possible. Did you have to pay the dealer for the investigatory work?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I had a funny burning smell for a week or more, was only at low speeds. Turned out to be a plastic sack wrapped round the exhaust and slowly melting/burning away. Bit of a fire risk.....................

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
Never had to pay for any work. All under warranty. Yeah might contact customer services.

Don't want to go to another dealer as they all charge for a hire car, where as this seat dealer doesn't! Lol

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
Sounds as if your dealer is at least doing the right thing with the warranty work... My local Seat dealer charges for all investagory work if they don't find a fault that they can claim under the warranty. Part of the reason I now own a Kia! lol

Fredthered

Nov 3, 2009
North West
I'd love to see what comes of this if anything as my coolant needs topping up around the same as my oil does now lol not got any strong/burning smells tho and no wet patches when parked up or smoke of any colour from the exhaust.

Had the breather pipe fitted which did slow the oil consumption a little but had a misfire recently which seat changed the plugs on warranty, only had the coolant issue since the plugs have been changed, now out of warranty :-(

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
I would think its your radiator. Mine went bang about 2 days after warrenty expired. Started with a drop in coolant then suddenly smoke from rad core itself. Its where the plastic end tank is fused to the metal core is where the problem is

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
Update....

Turns out there was a leak in the rad. Replaced within 2hrs and all is grand. No burning smell and not having to too it up every 5miles! Result

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
:( I've been having the same issue recently, funny smell and noticed the coolant had dropped noticeably. Fingers crossed it's not the same problem, I'll keep a closer eye on my coolant level now.

Any ideas on cost to sort if it is?

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
Mine was under warranty, but a rad is usually around £180 iirc.

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
Im telling you all theres a problem with all these radiators, its where the metal core is bonded to the plastic end tanks, it leaks from there over time.

Have seen a couple failures under a year old but heard of many around the 3 year warranty end point. Mine was a day outside warranty.

Problem is a fully aluminium radiator from the likes of pace products is nearly £700. I have this because don't plan on replacing the radiator again in another 3 years.

Its also 78% larger in volume which is good for this engine which gets very hot

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
Well I have just over another years warranty on the car, and plan to get an independent mechanic to check the car from head to toe on everything. Any faults at all will be going back under warranty!

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
Burning smell back. Starting to lose the head now.

alphabravo

I have had a off smell an while ago,but i thought it was related to the dpf regen or sumat like that

Last edited by a moderator:

DJMartin07

I too occasionally get a burning smell with my FR. Doesn't happen often, but does occasionally. Haven't had any problems with the oil consumption, but the water does go down quite considerably. Also got a dodgy AUX input, as no matter what cables I use it keeps cutting off different speakers at a time on bumps, turning the steering, and is getting worse! My car isn't even 10 months old yet. Is getting annoying. lol

Would like to see the outcome on the burning smell.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members