Buyer's guide Seat Ibiza 2004 1.9 TDI FR 130bhp - Common problems / what to look for?

Joni

Can anybody suggest things that i should look for when buying an ibiza tdi fr?

Are there any things that are notorious for going wrong?

When is the timing belt change due? This car has covered 53k.

Please can people give me tips of things i should be looking for as this is a private sale and won't be bought from a garage.

Many thanks.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
think it is 60k that it is due at, timing belt isnt a major problem just look above in the common problems thread that should sort u out matey.

pottsyfabs

my fr tdi (2006) 53k on the clock is over-due its 50k service, when should i realisticly do the timing belt change???

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
my fr tdi (2006) 53k on the clock is over-due its 50k service, when should i realisticly do the timing belt change???

The book says 60K but I did mine at 51K to be safe.

The cost of a belt letting go outside warranty is enough to make your eyes water.

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
I think cambelts should be changed every 4 years or 60K mile, whichever comes first. This is what is advised for the Furby vRS (same engine as the FR). Rubber belts can fail with age as well as mileage. It also advised to change the water pump at the same time.

pottsyfabs: If you are going to go past 60k at your service next year, get it done now. It's always good to get it done early for own peace of mind.

Last edited:

pottsyfabs

thanks thats good advice my local seat garage in carlisle quoted me 160 pound for service
280 for belt change and 40/50 pounds for waterpump.
Is this reasonable would you say?

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
thanks thats good advice my local seat garage in carlisle quoted me 160 pound for service
280 for belt change and 40/50 pounds for waterpump.
Is this reasonable would you say?

That seams about right. My 60K service was £300 from a local garage, but they did not do the water pump.