Buying advice - Cupra 290 with replaced DSG

May 25, 2020
Romania
Hello guys,

Very long time lurker here, I'm looking to buy a used Cupra 290 (2019) and I'm needing some help.
The car has only 12k km (7.5k miles) on board, but last week it had the DSG changed at the dealership because it was leaking oil. I tried to find some info on the forum, but without success.
I don't really know how to fell about this: be glad because it is a problem that has been fixed or be worried because it might happen again?

What's your opinion on this, should I pass this one?

Thanks!

L.E.: The car has full warranty only until July 2021.

Last edited:

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
If it was replaced by a dealer with a new box I don't see an issue, especially as it was just an oil leak and not some obscure software fault. I'd definitely confirm what warranty the car has though, and making sure the gearbox situation is written into the guarantee.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
If they have done it I wouldn't worry too much but I'd ask for more warranty, probably haggle for another 12 months on top of July 2021.

May 25, 2020
Romania
Unfortunately the warranty cannot be extended as it should've been bought along with the car (purchased from Germany).
I asked whether the gearbox has now it's own warranty the seller is not sure so he's asking the dealer and getting back to me with an answer.

Kibby

Jul 12, 2013
Belfast
Unfortunately the warranty cannot be extended as it should've been bought along with the car (purchased from Germany).
I asked whether the gearbox has now it's own warranty the seller is not sure so he's asking the dealer and getting back to me with an answer.

In the UK there are third party companies that can provide robust warranties for used cars. Have a check online for your region and see if there are any, you might find the prices very reasonable and give you that peace of mind.

May 25, 2020
Romania
Unfortunately I found only one company offering second hand car warranty here and its T&C are not very friendly (for cars above 180KW they are limiting the reparations at a quite low amount of money).

The seller says the dealership is not responding, but he thinks the DSG has now a 2 year warranty as it’s a new part installed by the dealer (in-line with what I was expecting).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members