Cable tv

PAULTDI67

Oct 21, 2009
sheffield s.yorkshire
Hi everyone peeps so I a bit confused/thick we've recently had virgin dig up our street layin their cable so my question's how's it get from the little junction box in the street outside the garden wall into the house?:confused:i can see they'll have to dig a trench in garden but my drive's one o them fancy pattern imprint concrete jobs so i'm guessing they'll not go to trouble/expense o digging trench in it&relayin with same stuff:confused:do we have any virgin/other cable installers on here?

andycupra

status subject to change
they will go the easiest route generally, so under the front garden, or in your case if its entirely blockwork they could either dig down along an edge, or simply lift up some blocks, dig down a little and relay. dont expect the worlds best work. it will likely be a sand base under the blocks, not a difficult job.

But, be aware, that you do have some influence on how they install, they will likely suggest the shortest easiest route, but you are within your rights to have it laid differently, as long as this is within the relms of being reasonable.

PAULTDI67

Oct 21, 2009
sheffield s.yorkshire
they will go the easiest route generally, so under the front garden, or in your case if its entirely blockwork they could either dig down along an edge, or simply lift up some blocks, dig down a little and relay. dont expect the worlds best work. it will likely be a sand base under the blocks, not a difficult job.

But, be aware, that you do have some influence on how they install, they will likely suggest the shortest easiest route, but you are within your rights to have it laid differently, as long as this is within the relms of being reasonable.

Thanks andy I can see they'll take easiest route but when it comes to entering house where garden ends there's concrete as I said not block paving&i'm guessing the installer's got to pay for relaying not sure if they'll b enough room down where my drive joins wi neighbors

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
I had a pressed concrete drive and a lawn belonging to my neighbours that edged my drive , they cut a channel down the edge of the drive , put the cable in some conduit , re buried it and put the turf back....quite a neat job as it goes. Then they just put a small maybe 6x4 box on the wall and drilled about a 10-12mm hole into the house.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Virgin cabling being installed all around my area at the moment, not sure if I want to have installed but wii wait until they have to the door with a quote, from kerbside to the house should be easy if I go ahead, we have grass out front. Any ideas of charges anyone?

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
It's free up to a certain cost. There is a "price per home" to connect you from where ever the cable is in the street.

For example if there is literally no way to get a cable to your property without digging up 5m of concrete and reinstating it, they will not install it.

X3RN

Nov 11, 2018
Norfolk, UK
I recently had a new phone line installed at home, They dug about a foot down in the grass and laid the cable in a PVC tube. They then covered the trench back up - it wasn't pretty but it works.