Camshaft Cover Torque settings

stefan-west1

Hi all. Whilst doing some small work I've noticed a very minor oil leak from the camshaft cover. Because its such a small leak its not worth taking the cover off and putting some new sealant on. But I thought whilst I've got access I may as well just make sure all the bolts and done up correctly so I just thought I'd best check what the correct torque measurements are.

Any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
10-15 Nm at a guess but they should not need checked or reset unless they have been disturbed. The process then would require them to be loosened off in a set pattern and then torqued back up again in the reverse order. The process isn't as critical as setting up a cylinder head but will mean that the cover is seated properly giving a good seal and reduce the opportunity for stresses to build up leading to a crack developing in the cover.

The leak is still a leak. I've finally pinned mine down on one of my vehicles and will be looking into replacing the failed gaskets asap. The oil may look small at source but it runs down the block and gathers at the bottom then falls off on to the road. This is not good for motorcyclists in particular.

Last edited:

ianswebb

Manual states 5Nm or 4 Ibs ft as a first stage then a further 90 degrees as a second stage.. Id suggest starting in the centre then either the left or right next, so its pulled down evenly.

Ian.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.