Can I get a mk2 16V GTI for less than a grand?

Darkslider

Thanks for all your replies guys, some very good points made and I've sure got something to think about. I'm actually going to look at an MR2 today but I'd still rather have the Ibiza for the extra seats and practicality. At the moment I've got significantly less than a grand though so it's not looking good :(
Thanks for the links, I'll have to keep checking pistonheads as well.

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
...well u could always buy a sxe (i think they have abs and aircon ...) or an 8v and then buy an 2.0l 16v abf lump for £250ish or vr6 aaa lump for £350ish and go that way about it. i know if i was a mechanic and/or got the labour cheap thats what id do...

or buy a cheap polo and put an abf in it. ...sorry if im confusing you with all these ideas but its confusing me too im in a similar situation to you tbh but with me i got a car i do/dont want to get rid of grr.

Darkslider

Good suggestions but I'd want to upgrade brakes suspension wheels and tyres as well, dropping a VR6 engine into a 1.0l polo sounds like carnage waiting to happen :p
Plus insurance is also an issue for me being 19 years old so I'm not sure engine swaps are a feasible idea, if they were I would already have a redtop turbo corsa gsi I'm sure.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
buy a mk2 Golf ( cool ) with a knackerd lump ect, then as above, an ABF can be bought for less than £500 and thats the lot, box, wiring ect.

i put a G60 in my mk2 Golf, and i got the lot including a recently recond stage 4 charger for £800, but obviously its time consuming ect... but at the end of it, including the car its cost me around £1500, and its quicker than a type R in a straight line, obviously not quite as refined lol!

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
i put a G60 in my mk2 Golf, and i got the lot including a recently recond stage 4 charger for £800, but obviously its time consuming ect... but at the end of it, including the car its cost me around £1500, and its quicker than a type R in a straight line, obviously not quite as refined lol!

Sod the the refinement........ its a MILLION times cooler!

Jameze

Mar 9, 2008
Up Aberdeen Way
im sure you could pick one up quickly enough like, its funny coz got mines for sale to but needs some work lol its jus away to hit the 100,000 to.

Never gave me any problems for the first 3 moths i had it then got a few issues. Got most o them sorted but well not the thread to mention.

If your interested heres the thread.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186327

might drop price for a quick sale, got plenty things to do on the new ibiza

Jz

Darkslider

Aberdeen's an awful long way to drive a car with no clutch mind! If you were closer (within land rover and trailer distance) I would've had that off you a long time ago :(

Posted from Wales :p

Jameze

Mar 9, 2008
Up Aberdeen Way
Aberdeen's an awful long way to drive a car with no clutch mind! If you were closer (within land rover and trailer distance) I would've had that off you a long time ago :(

Posted from Wales :p

lol thats a good point. aye it does have a working clutch jus well gonna go so wales be out the question lol shame its jus sittin round from my house lol jus needs some tlc, dont wanna get rid o it coz prob one o the quickest cars i eva drove.

Really need to sell it tho so think ill out it in autotrader tonight or tomorrow

jargti16v

hey everyone. i got a decent mk2 gti 2.0 16v cupra sport for £910 all iv done is had a service. its got 64000 miles full seat service history there no rust the paint is gd the only thing that needs sorting t make it mint is the wheels because they have been curbed slightly but not alot. i was going to post some pics but cant figure out how to do it, so any help would be apreciated. cheers. have a look on ebay thats where i bought mine

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
hey everyone. i got a decent mk2 gti 2.0 16v cupra sport for £910 all iv done is had a service. its got 64000 miles full seat service history there no rust the paint is gd the only thing that needs sorting t make it mint is the wheels because they have been curbed slightly but not alot. i was going to post some pics but cant figure out how to do it, so any help would be apreciated. cheers. have a look on ebay thats where i bought mine

:drool: what part of the country you from mate?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members