CANBUS Error Free Lights

Makover

Hi Guys,

I skimmed through the forum for some info on CANBUS error free lights and wanted to gather the information in 1 thread for all light types:
1) HID Kit
2) Sidelights Bulbs
3) License Plate

1) HID Kit
There are 2 problem to overcome here: Flickering lights and CANBUS error on the dashboard. Has anypne managed to solve these 2 with aftermarket HIS kits? Digital ballasts along with warning cancellers didn't work, but it turns out that there more than than the universal cancelers. Has anyone tried them? Here is the list:
http://coborimport.com/xenon/canbus-problemlosare.html

2) Sidelights Bulbs
4 units in front. It seems that there is a difference between the outer bulbs and the inner bulbs. The outer are more prone to errors. Has anyone tried CANBUS error free LEDs as these:
canbus5018led-500x500.jpg

Another proposed solution is a 25W or 50W resistor. Has anyone tried and was successful?
30RJ.jpg

3) License Plate
Same as above - resistor or CANBUS Error Free festoon LEDs:
CANBUSF.jpg

Any feedback will be helpful.
Thanks,
Alon

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
I believe the problem with the sidelights is the outer sidelights are NOT CANBUS and the inner sidelights are CANBUS. I tried many sets of different lights and finally settled with a set of normal white 501 sidelights as the outer bulbs and CANBUS bulbs on the inside. On the licence plate bulb it depends what model Ibiza you have, some has festoons, some have 501s.

Other problem with HIDs is that after market kits are being made illegal from 2011 in MOTs so if caught with them on your car you will have to remove them.

Last edited:

Makover

I believe the problem with the sidelights is the outer sidelights are NOT CANBUS and the inner sidelights are CANBUS. I tried many sets of different lights and finally settled with a set of normal white 501 sidelights as the outer bulbs and CANBUS bulbs on the inside. On the licence plate bulb it depends what model Ibiza you have, some has festoons, some have 501s.

Since I prefer identical LEDs on all 4 placeholders, Is it OK to place CANBUS LEDs on all 4? Or did it issue an error and hence you placed standard 501 bulbs on the outer placeholders?

Other problem with HIDs is that after market kits are being made illegal from 2011 in MOTs so if caught with them on your car you will have to remove them.

So get caught without them ;) BTW - I'm impressed by the results on your sig. very nice!
Assuming the legal side isn't an issue (in the place I come form), how do you solve this problem? I think I also read in 1 of the LEON 1P forums that connecting directly to the battery soolved both issues - flickering and CANBUS error. Does it mean using a relay?

Thank you,
Alon

Makover

ohh, I forgot about the fog lights. 9006/HB4 go there. I found a 18 LED bulb which I'm pretty positive will introduce problems. Any solutions?

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
Since I prefer identical LEDs on all 4 placeholders, Is it OK to place CANBUS LEDs on all 4? Or did it issue an error and hence you placed standard 501 bulbs on the outer placeholders?

So get caught without them ;) BTW - I'm impressed by the results on your sig. very nice!
Assuming the legal side isn't an issue (in the place I come form), how do you solve this problem? I think I also read in 1 of the LEON 1P forums that connecting directly to the battery soolved both issues - flickering and CANBUS error. Does it mean using a relay?

Thank you,
Alon

I do not think it's possible to have identical LEDs in the sidelights, you will get an error light on the dash. If you want them matching I think x4 ULTRA 501 white bulbs should work as they are not LEDs just normal 501s like the OEM ones.

Cheers for the comment on my sig, it's not actually the bulbs (not sure if you knew that) I used a photo editing program to put the light flares in. Not too sure on the HIDs I'm afraid as I didn't get a set in the end. Someone else might be able to point you in the right direction.

ohh, I forgot about the fog lights. 9006/HB4 go there. I found a 18 LED bulb which I'm pretty positive will introduce problems. Any solutions?

I would say the LED bulbs at a guess would cause a dash warning light to come on. The options you have it to either replace them with normal OEM type bulbs that shine white OR use Vagcom to turn them off if you don't like them

Deleted member 49882

What is the code for the license plate LEDs for the Cupra / Boc? I read through the different threads on this and could determine which was the correct code.

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
It is possible to disable the can-bus check

Select 09 (Central Electronics)
Long Coding -> Function 07
Byte 02 Bit 2 Cold Lamp Diagnosis active

Byte 18 Bit 0 Cold Diagnosis License Plate Lights active
Byte 18 Bit 1 Cold Diagnosis Brake Lights active
Byte 18 Bit 2 Cold Diagnosis Front Fog Lights active
Byte 18 Bit 3 Cold Diagnosis Rear Fog Lights active
Byte 18 Bit 4 Cold Diagnosis High Beam active
Byte 18 Bit 5 Cold Diagnosis Turn Signals active
Byte 18 Bit 6 Cold Diagnosis Back Light active
Byte 18 Bit 7 Cold Diagnosis Side Turn Signals active
Byte 19 Bit 0 Cold Diagnosis Low Beam active
Byte 19 Bit 1 Cold Diagnosis Front Parking Lights active
Byte 19 Bit 2 Cold Diagnosis Rear Parking Lights active
Byte 19 Bit 3 Diagnosis Rear Parking Lights active

so no need for can bus LED, etc

Aug 3, 2011
Yeah I was wondering about getting some LED's for the DLR's in my cupra and as for the sidelights(xeon options here), once the cover is open I can feel a tab that moves the bulb around- do I just pull or do I have to twist and pull- I have loada LED's from my fez that are the right size for the Sidelights.

Thanks

Jay

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
HIDs are very much illegal to fit in Ibizas, so i old't even bother there. just see the recommended ultra bulbs in the other threds.

Aug 3, 2011
Changed the sidelights - just normal LED sidelights- were in my Fiesta before this and the are not CANBUS leds but they work fine with the xeons at least.

Jay

DA-BADMAN

TDI BADMAN
Aug 4, 2011
manchester
i used leds(not canbus) for drl in my xenons,looked good,but warped after a couple of weeks then failed,maybe cos they were cheap ones lol

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
the last set I had in there, I must have placed the bulb incorrectly in the housing and it melted the bulb holder hehehehehehhe. Did a proper job this time so hopefully no issues and I have kept the old ones just in case.

GazEP3

Missing the vtec yo :(
Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
I have an aftermarket HID kit in mine, no flickering though and no error lights or cancellers required :confused:

I'd stay clear of led bulbs altogether mate, any I've tried haven't worked even though they were allegedly CANBUS ERROR FREE.

Have a look in the Mk5 ibiza FAQ section there's a fwe good guides on lights in there that may be of help :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.