Can't open boot / trunk

Mar 8, 2021
Hi!

I need some help.

I drive a Seat Leon 2004 1.6 and i can't open the trunk. I can hear it locks it (and maybe opening?) but still can't do anything.
I tried to remove the plastic from inside, but i was too afraid to broke anything.

Do you have any tips (maybe pics or vids?) how can I repair it or remove the plastic?

Thanks!

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Have a search for a thread of mine called something like 'boot locking mechanism headaches', which will give you an idea of that to do. It's a common problem where the grease in the SEAT badge release has washed out over time. It's an easy fix, but some cases can be worse than others.

I'm out at the moment, but will be happy to do a more detailed reply when I'm home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
This is the thread...

You'll be able to hear it lock and unlock, but what isn't happening is the actual locking mechanism moving, because the lack of grease means it's basically stuck in position. If you can get it open, either by luck, or by pulling off the inside of the rear hatch, you need to spray some lithium grease into the top right of the handle, which is where the part in question is, then pull the handle multiple times to work the grease in. I tried both Comma Spray Grease and WD40 Lithium Grease, and the lithium grease was the only one that worked long term.

To get the boot open in the first place, pull the rear seats down and head for the boot grab handles - the ones you pull to close the boot. There's a screw in each of these that you'll need to take out. Then it's a matter of pulling off the plastic. There are metal tabs that are probably pretty corroded by now, so don't be surprised if some of them break. They're fairly cheap to buy from eBay. Then all you need to do is pull the cable that runs from the handle to the latch, and it'll open.

I had to take out the handle, strip it down and clean and grease it thoroughly to get it to work, but you won't need to buy a new handle if you can still hear the solenoid working.

Reactions: 300bhpdaily

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Isnt there a key hole under the S boot lever?
Would that not open it if the solenoid is sticking?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Isnt there a key hole under the S boot lever?
Would that not open it if the solenoid is sticking?

I tried that when I was having my problems. Turning the key left will deadlock the boot, but I'm sure in my mk3 Ibiza that I could open the boot using the key, but that doesn't seem to happen with the Leon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
I had a dead tailgate actuator.
An actuator for the fuel tank door will do the job, if you open it up and take the spring out.
It was cheaper that way.:weedy:

Reactions: Rich.T
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise