car listed as 300 but comes back as a 290?

Mar 15, 2021
Hi All,

I'm meant to be picking up a new Cupra 300 tomorrow but after doing my insurance and checking auto trader its coming back as a 290 . On the cars badge itself after asking the dealership to check it does say a 290.

I understand that they have done away with the 300 and it's just the 290 now. I know there isn't much in the 290-300 but i do enjoy the exhaust from the 300 better.

Am i wrong in saying they have maybe made a mistake on the advertisement?

Its a 68 Plate.

Thanks.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
And if they have (and it would seem likely) they’ll just point to the “errors and omissions excepted” caveat hidden somewhere in the small print. At least you can tell the difference from the badge, with an S3 it was still badged exactly the same after the GPF was added.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Does the car have a copper SEAT badge on the front and rear with the Cupra lettering in Black? If it does then it is a 290 as the 300’s all had silver SEAT badges with Cupra lettering in Silver.

There were some of the newer 290’s that came out with the Silver SEAT badges and silver Cupra letting that had the same exhaust as the 300 but these were the ones pre full change over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Damo H
Mar 15, 2021
Does the car have a copper SEAT badge on the front and rear with the Cupra lettering in Black? If it does then it is a 290 as the 300’s all had silver SEAT badges with Cupra lettering in Silver.

There were some of the newer 290’s that came out with the Silver SEAT badges and silver Cupra letting that had the same exhaust as the 300 but these were the ones pre full change over.

I have attached some photos that was on the brochure . You might be able to see it , after speaking to the dealership it was definitely 290 on the badge .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210326-170642__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20210326-170642__01.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Screenshot_20210326-170632__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20210326-170632__01.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 165

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Looking at your pics that looks like a post 300 pre copper 290, 290 if that makes sense.

The newer 290’s had copper S on the front and back, black Cupra letters on the back and a black Cupra badge on the front. Also they had no other badging on the back.

That one looks like it was one of the ones before the GPF 290’s so it’s likely got the same exhaust set up as a 300. ie no GPF, so it should sound like my 300 did.

You did say it was a 68 reg?

Mar 15, 2021
Looking at your pics that looks like a post 300 pre copper 290, 290 if that makes sense.

The newer 290’s had copper S on the front and back, black Cupra letters on the back and a black Cupra badge on the front. Also they had no other badging on the back.

That one looks like it was one of the ones before the GPF 290’s so it’s likely got the same exhaust set up as a 300. ie no GPF, so it should sound like my 300 did.

You did say it was a 68 reg?

Would there be anyway to check if the exhaust is set up as the 300? Why would it be advertised as a 300 then ? Yes it's a 68 plate . I'm tempted to turn round and say I'm not wanting it and wanting a 300 model .

Reactions: Walone

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Exhaust setup is as per this diagram
833b0e038757e7da17df0f8c070305f0.jpg

Get them to take a pic of exhaust setup and send it to you. Courtesy of @Damo H

The 300 and silver 290 should look like picture two. If it does you’ve effectively got a 300.

Mar 15, 2021
Exhaust setup is as per this diagram
833b0e038757e7da17df0f8c070305f0.jpg

Get them to take a pic of exhaust setup and send it to you. Courtesy of @Damo H

The 300 and silver 290 should look like picture two. If it does you’ve effectively got a 300.

I'm guessing it's the GPF that reduces the sound from the exhaust?

I love the sound of the 300 it's the reason why i'm wanting one.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I have attached some photos that was on the brochure . You might be able to see it , after speaking to the dealership it was definitely 290 on the badge .
@Maypack Has it bob on and you have quite a rare car there. One that will no doubt confuse people in years to come.

Yours is a GPF'd 290 car, but pre copper changes that came in.

Found a post in the middle of 100's of pages in this thread. If you go back and forward you'll find people who got the none copper GPF'd 290's.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
The easiest way to tell is the gearbox. If it has 6 speed DSG it’s a 300 ps non-GPF exhaust. If it’s got the 7 Speed DSG then it will have the 290 ps GPF exhaust.

As a 68 plate it is highly likely to be the latter - the Cupra stopped production for quite a while in 2018 whilst they sorted out the WLTP issues and there was virtually nil stock so it’s unlikely to be a stock car registered in Sep 18.

The positive for this car is that most had factory options that were not available on the later EZ/Lux cars.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The easiest way to tell is the gearbox. If it has 6 speed DSG it’s a 300 ps non-GPF exhaust. If it’s got the 7 Speed DSG then it will have the 290 ps GPF exhaust.

As a 68 plate it is highly likely to be the latter - the Cupra stopped production for quite a while in 2018 whilst they sorted out the WLTP issues and there was virtually nil stock so it’s unlikely to be a stock car registered in Sep 18.
There are some 68 plate 300's, mines a 68 plate but the carbons where the last none WLTP's GPF'd cars I believe to come to the UK.

Mar 15, 2021

The positive for this car is that most had factory options that were not available on the later EZ/Lux cars.
Looking at auto trader and using the REG it's saying it s a 7 spd DSG.

This wouldn't give me the nice sound the 300 give's me would it? Am i best holding out and trying to find a 300 which is what i really want.

Mar 15, 2021
There are some 68 plate 300's, mines a 68 plate but the carbons where the last none WLTP's GPF'd cars I believe to come to the UK.
The issue's i have is the car coming back as a 290 when the reg is typed into auto trader, why would they advertise it as a 300? Potential mistype?

I like the deep sound of the 300 , i know there isn't an awful lot between the 290 and the 300. I want a car with a bit of punch i and i know the 290 has that but i'm not sure if its the same as the 300?

The car was also registered in OCT , don't know if that would help with this.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I think that the Carbon editions sneaked through on the ‘volume/existing stock’ rules that were in place for WLTP from Sep 18.

But as you stated above a few early 290s had the Silver Badges/Red Callipers.

Mine was one the first STs with Copper badging, but I had most options less pano-roof fitted.

The specs/options on Sep-Dec 18 Cupras are a bit odd and were referred to as the ‘Frankenstein’ models at the time.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Looking at auto trader and using the REG it's saying it s a 7 spd DSG.

This wouldn't give me the nice sound the 300 give's me would it? Am i best holding out and trying to find a 300 which is what i really want.
The issue is not as bad for the hatch as the ST. The hatch can still have the resonator removed (c.£100) which improves the sound. The ST (which still has 300 ps) has the resonator removed as standard. There are also GPF back exhast

There are plenty of threads on this.

Some +ve for this car:

7 Speed is a great box, plus improved exonomy
Improved digital dash
GPF cars will be better as ULEV zones are created

Some -ve for this car:

GPF cars lost the multipoint injection - depends if you want to tune the car, and potential for head coking in the future (but too early for any cars to be suffering this yet)

Mar 15, 2021
The issue is not as bad for the hatch as the ST. The hatch can still have the resonator removed (c.£100) which improves the sound. The ST (which still has 300 ps) has the resonator removed as standard. There are also GPF back exhast

There are plenty of threads on this.

Some +ve for this car:

7 Speed is a great box, plus improved exonomy
Improved digital dash
GPF cars will be better as ULEV zones are created

Some -ve for this car:

GPF cars lost the multipoint injection - depends if you want to tune the car, and potential for head coking in the future (but too early for any cars to be suffering this yet)
I'm just looking to keep the car standard its the reason why i want the 300.

I'll speak to them tomorrow but more than likely i'll be asking for them to find me the car i asked.

I know it's only a small detail but when your spending a good amount of money then i believe its worth the wait.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I'm just looking to keep the car standard its the reason why i want the 300.

I'll speak to them tomorrow but more than likely i'll be asking for them to find me the car i asked.

I know it's only a small detail but when your spending a good amount of money then i believe its worth the wait.
The resonator removal is a really simple swap and can be reversed very easily - many people still complete this mod on the 300 versions.

But as you say, it’s your £££ so get what you want.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise