Car problem

FLK

May 14, 2005
UK, Staffordshire
I was driving my folks home last night from the pub and the ESP/TCS lamp lit up orange which was odd as I was cruising at 70-80mph then the oil lamp lit up red a second later and I immediately had a complete loss of engine power (not electrical). There was no audio warning and the warning lamps stayed on i.e. didn't flash. I stopped the car okay but got no response from the engine when pressing the accelerator to try to move off again even though the engine was still running. I turned the engine off and started it up okay, no warning lights on restart and I managed to get back home, with the car running normally again. The trip was less than ten minutes either way to the pub and back and it was fine going there.

Just to be safe I checked the oil this morning, looked fine and the level was okay 4/5ths full on the dipstick marking, no signs of a leak. I used the car again today hoping it was just glitch but after 10 minutes of driving it happened again. This time it took several attempts to start but did go eventually and the car drove normally with no lights or problems after restarting. I came back to the car later as it happened about a mile from our destination but it managed to get home with no problems whatsoever, covering the same distance.

Is this related to a coil pack problem as the engine seems to be shutting down on me when this happens, or is it something else? Just wierd how it works fine after an engine restart :confused:

Last edited:

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
dunno about coil packs but id get someone with vagcom to give it the once over for diagnostics, usually a fault will be stored, its worth a pint for piece of mind.

FLK

May 14, 2005
UK, Staffordshire
No, I meant that when I pressed the accelerator down to the floor immediately after the warning lights came on (the engine was still running & powered) there was no longer any response from the engine itself when I tried to accelerate. All the car would let me do was slow naturally to a stop.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise