Car won't go in gear

Stu-

Apr 21, 2013
Dartford
Cupra tdi.

I drove the car at lunch, got in it 5 hours later after work and it wouldn't go in gear and the clutch was really light. Engine off and the gears move freely, but start the engine whilst in gear, with pedal pressed and the car tries to move forward, almost like its being held on the biting point.

I managed to get it home. Whilst driving, in gear it drives fine, no clutch slippage. The clutch, DMF and CSC were changed roughly 5000 miles ago.

Ive had a quick look and the reservoir is low, it takes fluid but slowly. Had a look on top of the gearbox and it's smothered.

The clutch pedal only returns half way now.

There's no fluid inside the car (which I've read is an indicator or the master cylinder).

Is this likely to be the slave or master cylinder? And will it be a box out job?

IMG-20200109-202922.jpg

Last edited:

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Hello Stu,

according to the SEAT ETKA parts site,
it lists two hydraulic clutch options for your SEAT Ibiza 1.9 TDI.
One is with the clutch slave cylinder from 2002 to roughly 2004
the other is with the hydraulic release bearing assembly from 2004 to 2008

Looking at your photo I'd say yours has the later set up i.e the hydraulic release bearing assembly unit, which would mean your gearbox would have to come out if the above item is warn/leaking.

The black lead in the bottom of your photo I think is the earth lead attached to gearbox bell housing, below that is your starter motor.
The small black plastic coupling with the bleed nipple on it, is a kind of adapter coupling which attaches to the hydraulic release bearing assembly inside gearbox bell housing, the other end of the adaptor coupling is attached to a flexi rubber hose/pipe that runs to/from your clutch master cylinder.

Plastic adaptor coupling
Part number 1J0 721 468C
(This item is fitted to yours and attached to item listed below)
This item can crack and leak if damaged or worn out.

Hydraulic release bearing assembly
Part number 0A5 141 671 (early type)
Part number 0A5 141 671E (later type)
This item can crack or the seal/s can wear causing clutch fluid leak.

Clutch slave cylinder
Part number 6Q0 721 261E
(I'm pretty sure this item is not fitted on yours)

Flexi rubber hose/pipe
Part number 6Q1 721 465
And
Part number 6Q2 721 465

You'll need to give details of your Ibiza's Vin/chassis number if speaking to SEAT Main Dealership, as the above item comes in various shapes /lengths.

Clutch master cylinder
Part number 6Q0 721 388D

It sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging via your clutch pedal, when you depress the pedal you're possibly losing hydraulic pressure caused by air being drawn into the hydraulic system, from a leaking or warn out seal in one of the above listed items,
or the Flexi rubber hose/pipe is leaking slightly ?
Normally it's best to replace the hydraulic release bearing assembly unit, when ever you have a new clutch kit fitted.

Hope this helps
Si

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.