Car won't start - HELP!

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
If you have fuel to the fuel rail, coupled with the fact you had intermittant stalling before, then i'd say there is a good chance it's the crank sensor but you will need to confirm it with a code reader as it could be somrthing else. Using a code reader should always really be the first step with these cars, it will save you a lot of stress and wasted time/money in the long run as they are pretty complicated engines.

Reactions: Pickled Peachez

Pickled Peachez

Sep 19, 2019
If you have fuel to the fuel rail, coupled with the fact you had intermittant stalling before, then i'd say there is a good chance it's the crank sensor but you will need to confirm it with a code reader as it could be somrthing else. Using a code reader should always really be the first step with these cars, it will save you a lot of stress and wasted time/money in the long run as they are pretty complicated engines.
Cheers having a code read this morning so fingers crossed for an obvious conclusion. Will price up the possibilities...

Will report back with my findings.

An after thought about it being the crank sensor...if the car runs when spraying air intake..that means the sensor is working as its sending a signal to ecu?

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Yeah thta was the only bit that threw me, but i guess it could be intermittant and you just got a spark for a couple of cycles. AFAIK the only thing that can stop you getting a spark is the crank sensor. The coils are all independant, so if you have fuel to the fuel rail then it can only really be that the ECU isn;t telling the coils to fire. I take it you have checked all fuses? The only other thing that comes to mind is obviously the timing, have you checked the timing belt is ok?

Pickled Peachez

Sep 19, 2019
Yeah thta was the only bit that threw me, but i guess it could be intermittant and you just got a spark for a couple of cycles. AFAIK the only thing that can stop you getting a spark is the crank sensor. The coils are all independant, so if you have fuel to the fuel rail then it can only really be that the ECU isn;t telling the coils to fire. I take it you have checked all fuses? The only other thing that comes to mind is obviously the timing, have you checked the timing belt is ok?
I'm waiting on a guy to stick the reader in it atm. Should be tomorrow although he said Thursday:( coils and sparks all good...from what knowledge I have...while limited my finger of blame is at the injectors at the moment....but as I said limited knowledge. So annoying as I'm getting the car ready to sell to get an R.

Pickled Peachez

Sep 19, 2019
I'm waiting on a guy to stick the reader in it atm. Should be tomorrow although he said Thursday:( coils and sparks all good...from what knowledge I have...while limited my finger of blame is at the injectors at the moment....but as I said limited knowledge. So annoying as I'm getting the car ready to sell to get an R.
Update....after lots and lots of head scratching the car now starts...I double checked the fuses and there was no fuse in number 32...i put in a fuse and it starts. I have no idea how or why the car ran previously...as this is the injector fuse.

Also in trying to solve this problem it also seems my other problem of the fan running constantly has been resolved. I believe this was due to a wiring issue around the relays below the wiper area/near air filter..as I was looking at these and checking if it was related to the no start issue.

So thanks for everyone's help..still slightly baffled as to what happened here but it's running lol

Jan 8, 2021
Hello my AUQ 1.8T 20V wont start and car cut out so put petrol in still no start fuel pump does not kick in so i change the fues pump and relay still no joy i then further found out that i have no spark so changed all spark plugs coil packs ect and the ignition relay and still no start any ideas

oggydoodaa

Dec 13, 2015
Basingstoke
Righty, finally got my vagcom cable working (turns out it doesn't like windows 7 home premium 64bit!).

Cleared the fault codes and re ran both when the car does and doesn't start. The code that comes up when running is:

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ASR.LBL
Controller: 1C0 907 379 D
Component: ASR FRONT MK60 0103
Coding: 0022017
Shop #: WSC 00001
VCID: 2B2984AFCA0B
1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
004 - No Signal/Communication

When it's not running it's the same fault but the commentary is just "no signal".

My optimistic half (ok quarter) is going to check the connections to the ECU are a-ok to see if the free fix works! Now, if someone could confirm where the ecu lives.....

I read somewhere that it's under the front wipers plastic tray?

Thanks

Dave

These are common codes to pop up on these mk1's (trust me I've got a list long as my arm on my one!) try checking the fuse/relay panel in the drivers side of the dash board, just remove the lower trim panel under the steering wheel and check for moisture, seeing as these cars were built with the sieve in mind it could just be a relay issue, Or check under the scuttle panel at the bottom of the windscreen, sometimes this gets full of Sh*t and can cause problems. Also check your Instrument panel is working ok (No phantom glow when engine off) as these also fail and can cause starting issues.

Reactions: mister.c.
Dec 29, 2023
Righty, finally got my vagcom cable working (turns out it doesn't like windows 7 home premium 64bit!).

Cleared the fault codes and re ran both when the car does and doesn't start. The code that comes up when running is:

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ASR.LBL
Controller: 1C0 907 379 D
Component: ASR FRONT MK60 0103
Coding: 0022017
Shop #: WSC 00001
VCID: 2B2984AFCA0B
1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
004 - No Signal/Communication

When it's not running it's the same fault but the commentary is just "no signal".

My optimistic half (ok quarter) is going to check the connections to the ECU are a-ok to see if the free fix works! Now, if someone could confirm where the ecu lives.....

I read somewhere that it's under the front wipers plastic tray?

Thanks

Dave
Did you get to the bottom of it mate? Got the same issue for me too and I am absolutely stumped lol. Kinda putting off the fact I may have to maybe check each cable for continuity lol

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Did you get to the bottom of it mate? Got the same issue for me too and I am absolutely stumped lol. Kinda putting off the fact I may have to maybe check each cable for continuity lol
Did you check the relays under the dash? Pull them out and see if the pins have rusted. I've had moisture under there before and they've appeared dry, but the pins have been knackered by something wet

Dec 29, 2023
Well I had a bit of a turn up with the ole gal yesterday.....the fault was actually very simple lol the plug came loose from the crankshaft sensor lol.....however just as I got the car running beautifully someone crashed into the back wheel and now the rear axle is messed up 😢

Reactions: Alexis27
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.