Ceramic coating…or not?🤔

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
I know there’s quite a bit on here about Ceramic coating but, I have to admit, I’m still undecided?
Just how easy is it to maintain long term, I was considering getting it done by the dealer but unsure as to the quality of the work, they’re quoting about half what a local detailer is quoting but I know quite a lot of folk seem to get varying degrees of quality when these jobs are carried out?
My car is on order from Crewe Seat if anyone has had it done there?
My indecision is coming from not being an enthusiastic car cleaner, I like a clean car but I’m not the sort who washes them every week if you get my drift, how long can you expect finish to last, what happens if say you get a fine scratch that ordinarily you’d “T-Cut” out, can this still be done, can the coating itself “Chip” if so I guess it would need re-coating?
Apologies for the noob questions but it’s quite an outlay potentially and I’m trying to find as much out as I can (YouTube seems fairly good) to determine whether it’s worth it and for me🥴

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Quite easy to maintain. I tend to use GTechniq C2 2 or 3 times a year (which is about the frequency I do a “proper” wash, the rest of the time - monthly maybe - it’s just a pressure wash) on the original coating which I had done by a local detailer when I got the car.

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
Quite easy to maintain. I tend to use GTechniq C2 2 or 3 times a year (which is about the frequency I do a “proper” wash, the rest of the time - monthly maybe - it’s just a pressure wash) on the original coating which I had done by a local detailer when I got the car.
Cheers for the rep!y, what exactly is "GTechniq" is this a ceramic " Top up" or a type of car wash additive, unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a garage or indoor space to apply such things😞

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
I know there’s quite a bit on here about Ceramic coating but, I have to admit, I’m still undecided?
Just how easy is it to maintain long term, I was considering getting it done by the dealer but unsure as to the quality of the work, they’re quoting about half what a local detailer is quoting but I know quite a lot of folk seem to get varying degrees of quality when these jobs are carried out?
My car is on order from Crewe Seat if anyone has had it done there?
My indecision is coming from not being an enthusiastic car cleaner, I like a clean car but I’m not the sort who washes them every week if you get my drift, how long can you expect finish to last, what happens if say you get a fine scratch that ordinarily you’d “T-Cut” out, can this still be done, can the coating itself “Chip” if so I guess it would need re-coating?
Apologies for the noob questions but it’s quite an outlay potentially and I’m trying to find as much out as I can (YouTube seems fairly good) to determine whether it’s worth it and for me🥴
Doogle, I'm new to this game too. Last time I owned a brand spanking new motor was when I was 17 (a looooong time ago) and I wanted to make sure that my VZ2 looks the dog's danglers without the expense of getting it done professionally...I was the car with a decent quality shampoo then have applied Autoglym Rapid Ceramic spray, which was very easy - took about 45 mins to apply and buff. The car looks great and will last up to 3 months apparently before a new application is required but, tbh, I love washing the motor so will probably redo in 4-6 weeks.

Reactions: Doogle

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
Doogle, I'm new to this game too. Last time I owned a brand spanking new motor was when I was 17 (a looooong time ago) and I wanted to make sure that my VZ2 looks the dog's danglers without the expense of getting it done professionally...I was the car with a decent quality shampoo then have applied Autoglym Rapid Ceramic spray, which was very easy - took about 45 mins to apply and buff. The car looks great and will last up to 3 months apparently before a new application is required but, tbh, I love washing the motor so will probably redo in 4-6 weeks.
Cheers Bear, yeah I've been looking at some of these sprays on various YouTube channels and, even experienced detailers, have to admit some are very good indeed, obviously I wouldn't expect the level of protection that you would get with a full blown, professionally applied Ceramic coating, however, given the cost for a quality ceramic application I would expect if not demand a first class, lasting finish?
I just wonder if it really IS "Money well spent" given you are still going to get stone chips, trolley rash, etc etc?

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
If you're thinking of going with the dealer then save your cash as they're a complete waste of money. They don't take the time needed to do it correctly and just throw the stuff on (I used to sell cars so I do have a bit of background knowledge). The stuff they use is very cheap and is just thrown on. Our guys used to be able to do it in 20 to 30 minutes. They'd forgotten to do it once and the car was sent out without it although the customer had been charged and thought it looked great (I'll stress not one of mine) another time they applied it while I was doing the paperwork. :ROFLMAO:

A proper detailer will take 3 - 5 days to do it correctly, hence the cost. The coating is only around £50-100 so the rest is labour. They prep the car properly to ensure the coating has the best chance of lasting and goes over perfect paintwork.

Now if you're going to go to the local dodgy hand wash or through an automated car wash, again save your money. Coatings can help to keep your car looking the best but nothing can protect you from the abuse those places inflict.

If you like your car looking its best and like to wash them yourself (they can make this a bit easier) then it's worth it. They aren't made from unicorn tears so unfortunately can't work miracles, they won't stop scratches and don't mean you never have to wash it again. If only.

Lastly go to your garage right now and get that bottle of T-Cut and throw it in the bin as hard as you can. :ROFLMAO:

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
If you're thinking of going with the dealer then save your cash as they're a complete waste of money. They don't take the time needed to do it correctly and just throw the stuff on (I used to sell cars so I do have a bit of background knowledge). The stuff they use is very cheap and is just thrown on. Our guys used to be able to do it in 20 to 30 minutes. They'd forgotten to do it once and the car was sent out without it although the customer had been charged and thought it looked great (I'll stress not one of mine) another time they applied it while I was doing the paperwork. :ROFLMAO:

A proper detailer will take 3 - 5 days to do it correctly, hence the cost. The coating is only around £50-100 so the rest is labour. They prep the car properly to ensure the coating has the best chance of lasting and goes over perfect paintwork.

Now if you're going to go to the local dodgy hand wash or through an automated car wash, again save your money. Coatings can help to keep your car looking the best but nothing can protect you from the abuse those places inflict.

If you like your car looking its best and like to wash them yourself (they can make this a bit easier) then it's worth it. They aren't made from unicorn tears so unfortunately can't work miracles, they won't stop scratches and don't mean you never have to wash it again. If only.

Lastly go to your garage right now and get that bottle of T-Cut and throw it in the bin as hard as you can. :ROFLMAO:
Cheers Supa Koopa you pretty much have nailed everything I’ve been thinking, I’m seriously considering withdrawing the option of the ceramic coating, the link I hopefully post on the next reply is pretty good at explaining the pros and cons of Ceramic coating, a big one for me is the need to remove any coating if say you needed a touch up of any kind, or even to say T-Cut a minor scratch out, the sort of things we all fall foul to

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
Please take everything that guy says with a pinch of salt. :ROFLMAO:

If you're questioning it then it probably isn't for you. The things you're worried about are a very low risk and shouldn't really be part of your decision making process.

If I were you I wouldn't bother and then just try having a go myself. Go with something easy to start with like Gyeon Can Coat to dip your toes in the world of ceramic coating and see if it's for you. :)

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
Please take everything that guy says with a pinch of salt. :ROFLMAO:

If you're questioning it then it probably isn't for you. The things you're worried about are a very low risk and shouldn't really be part of your decision making process.

If I were you I wouldn't bother and then just try having a go myself. Go with something easy to start with like Gyeon Can Coat to dip your toes in the world of ceramic coating and see if it's for you. :)
You may be right, as I don’t have access to a garage or any kind of “Indoor” cover I doubt I’d be doing it myself but I may continue reading up on it

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I had a black Discovery Sport professionally ceramic coated, but I didn't find it made a huge difference in day to day life - it looked great when washed and then dirty pretty soon after (washing a car being a bit like a rain dance for me!). I didn't find the Saharan dust / road crap came off the car naturally - it just beaded nicely when clean.

So I didn't bother with coating a silver Discovery Sport I had next and it didn't show the dirt that badly, so I haven't bothered with the Asphalt (very dark) Blue Formentor. One reason is that with the high, flat bonnet you soon see the dust and dirt accumulate as you look more along it rather than down on it from the drivers seat - ceramic coating won't stop it looking dirty.

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
I had a black Discovery Sport professionally ceramic coated, but I didn't find it made a huge difference in day to day life - it looked great when washed and then dirty pretty soon after (washing a car being a bit like a rain dance for me!). I didn't find the Saharan dust / road crap came off the car naturally - it just beaded nicely when clean.

So I didn't bother with coating a silver Discovery Sport I had next and it didn't show the dirt that badly, so I haven't bothered with the Asphalt (very dark) Blue Formentor. One reason is that with the high, flat bonnet you soon see the dust and dirt accumulate as you look more along it rather than down on it from the drivers seat - ceramic coating won't stop it looking dirty.
Totally understand what you’re saying and whilst not naive enough to think it won’t stop general dirt and scratches (It’s not exactly a force field 🤣🤣) it’s why I’m tussling over whether it’s worth shelling out £700 or so quid on?

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Cheers for the rep!y, what exactly is "GTechniq" is this a ceramic " Top up" or a type of car wash additive, unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a garage or indoor space to apply such things😞
The initila coating was done by a professional. HE happened to use GTechniq products - but unless you have a garage space of your own and a LOT of patience you're not going to be putting the original ceramic coating on. The C2 product is a "quck detailer" - wash the car thoroughly - 2 bucket job - and then spray/wipe the C2 on - that "tops up" the original ceramic coating.

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
You may be right, as I don’t have access to a garage or any kind of “Indoor” cover I doubt I’d be doing it myself but I may continue reading up on it
I'm assuming you've seen my post - https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/vz2-detailing-session.469188/ that was all done outside without any cover. I do have a pop up gazebo but I didn't use it this time. I've ceramic coated my last 4 cars outside and I've not had any trouble. It's obviously much easier if you have a garage but it can be done. I mentioned Gyeon Can Coat as it's fairly easy to use by all accounts https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/collections/gyeon/products/gyeon-q2-cancoat-evo. However I've used CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0 previously which was easy to use and gave great results. It comes with a bottle of reload which protects the coating while it cures.

My previous 2 cars using CarPro;

36452E48-42CE-47AC-AE47-8A4FCF4B45F2.jpeg

9D1E6328-976B-4BB0-B20C-A7CDADDA9D9F.jpeg

Both done outside without any cover.

You might not get the ultimate longevity out of it (18 months - 2 years instead of the claimed 3, but I never believe that anyway) but it's only cost you £30-50 rather than £700. To be honest, the hardest part of ceramic coating a car is doing it for the first time, once you've done that you wonder what all the fuss was about. :ROFLMAO:

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
I'm assuming you've seen my post - https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/vz2-detailing-session.469188/ that was all done outside without any cover. I do have a pop up gazebo but I didn't use it this time. I've ceramic coated my last 4 cars outside and I've not had any trouble. It's obviously much easier if you have a garage but it can be done. I mentioned Gyeon Can Coat as it's fairly easy to use by all accounts https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/collections/gyeon/products/gyeon-q2-cancoat-evo. However I've used CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0 previously which was easy to use and gave great results. It comes with a bottle of reload which protects the coating while it cures.

My previous 2 cars using CarPro;

View attachment 31283
View attachment 31284

Both done outside without any cover.

You might not get the ultimate longevity out of it (18 months - 2 years instead of the claimed 3, but I never believe that anyway) but it's only cost you £30-50 rather than £700. To be honest, the hardest part of ceramic coating a car is doing it for the first time, once you've done that you wonder what all the fuss was about. :ROFLMAO:
Cheers for this, food for thought🤔

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
Totally understand what you’re saying and whilst not naive enough to think it won’t stop general dirt and scratches (It’s not exactly a force field 🤣🤣) it’s why I’m tussling over whether it’s worth shelling out £700 or so quid on?
£700 is a lot for a dealer coating. Mine chucked it in for free. Now I know people are going to say its crap and cheap and not done properly, but a year later it still cleans far easier than my wife's Puma and dirt jet washes off easier and its smooth mirror type finish is still there. I'm well happy and will have it done again in a year I would estimate.

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
£700 is a lot for a dealer coating. Mine chucked it in for free. Now I know people are going to say its crap and cheap and not done properly, but a year later it still cleans far easier than my wife's Puma and dirt jet washes off easier and its smooth mirror type finish is still there. I'm well happy and will have it done again in a year I would estimate.
The £700 was a local professional detailer, dealer was quoting £375.00 (I think)

Reactions: Depodon
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.