Change alternator (brushes) vr6

Jun 5, 2020
Hi
so.... I'm new here
Need help...
Can I change the brushes with the alternator in place?
If so, what do I need to take apart?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Welcome to the forum. I can't help on that specifically, but there are good videos on youtube about reconditioning alternators and how to strip and rebuild them. 95% of alternators are of an almost identical design.

Reactions: MangeSwe

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It is always to be a better plan to get the alternator out from the car first as if it needs new brushes, then it also needs the dust from the previous brushes cleaned out and the slip rings cleaned up etc just in case it is something else like duff brush springs or even just the brushes jamming in their guides.

In most cases buying a new complete regulator pack sorts out all these issues and might be easier to find than just brushes - if indeed the brushes are now too short.

Jun 5, 2020
It is always to be a better plan to get the alternator out from the car first as if it needs new brushes, then it also needs the dust from the previous brushes cleaned out and the slip rings cleaned up etc just in case it is something else like duff brush springs or even just the brushes jamming in their guides.

In most cases buying a new complete regulator pack sorts out all these issues and might be easier to find than just brushes - if indeed the brushes are now too short.

Ok.
How much of the car do I need to take apart?
It seems to be really tight down there....

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I don't know on that engine, most alternators is well hidden and you will need to get creative, if the alternator is still tight or difficult to move after you remove the bolts, then try levering it in a way that will force the spacers back into the metalwork, either the alternators metalwork or the engine/bracket's metalwork.

Reactions: mty12345
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members