Choice of Tyres

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Just my humble opinion but having recently replaced all four Turanzas on the VZ 310 Edition with Continental Sport Contact 7s in 245/40/ZR19 XL, the change improves the handling particularly turn in at the expense of a firmer ride (which I wanted) and a lot more road noise. Also they came in at £35 a corner cheaper.

Only just run them in but they improve the handling and give real feedback compared to the floatiness of the Turanzas. Grip wise a bit early to say but no problems on today's greasy roads when I got a bit aggressive on the local back roads.
The Turanzas with 5mm on the front and 3mm on the back understeered terribly even on dry roads at 10 degrees C, in effect the car just refused to turn in and when it did under less power the weight shift would bring about snap oversteer at the back very similar to my Cupra 290 but at least under power.

Yes the Turanzas might be a good choice for those who potter about and expect 30k miles out of them. They might be fun on an empty track where you can afford them to be unpredictable as you search for their limits. But for spirited road use the Contis win hands down and will only improve over the next few thousand miles before trailing off. They are also one of the best if not the best looking tyres out there.
Thats the difference between touring and sport tyres without even going into the differences between different brands, it would be bad if the Sport contact 7 released late last year didn't out perform a touring tyre thats now an old tyre however, for me I've never found a Bridgestone to be unpredictable or lack feel due to their hard sidewalls whereas I have with others in the past.

Sport Contact 7 is getting excellent reviews through..

Reactions: pkaps

Lip

Jan 19, 2023
Just my humble opinion but having recently replaced all four Turanzas on the VZ 310 Edition with Continental Sport Contact 7s in 245/40/ZR19 XL, the change improves the handling particularly turn in at the expense of a firmer ride (which I wanted) and a lot more road noise. Also they came in at £35 a corner cheaper.

Only just run them in but they improve the handling and give real feedback compared to the floatiness of the Turanzas. Grip wise a bit early to say but no problems on today's greasy roads when I got a bit aggressive on the local back roads.
The Turanzas with 5mm on the front and 3mm on the back understeered terribly even on dry roads at 10 degrees C, in effect the car just refused to turn in and when it did under less power the weight shift would bring about snap oversteer at the back very similar to my Cupra 290 but at least under power.

Yes the Turanzas might be a good choice for those who potter about and expect 30k miles out of them. They might be fun on an empty track where you can afford them to be unpredictable as you search for their limits. But for spirited road use the Contis win hands down and will only improve over the next few thousand miles before trailing off. They are also one of the best if not the best looking tyres out there.
Interesting, I did not notice any significant difference in noise between the Turanzas and SportContacts 7.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.