clutch cable hell

Nick Nick

Ibiza Veteran, Leon Virgin
Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
Hey all,

My clutch cable metal retainer next to the rubber spacer block that the cable sits through on the clutch arm has snapped, so my clutch cable popped through and now I'm bu**ered. I've robbed the one from my old beeza (which I haven't had the courage to part with and is still on my drive 18 months later as a donor) but this one is like a huge metal block, and not a thin piece of metal with a slit in it. The block works in the same way (slide the cable in like a bicycle cable) but there is not enough slack on my cable (even with the tranny arm propped up with a jack) to attach the block (or even just the thin plate if I had one).

I've attached the compressed cable clips to hold the clutch cable in its compressed state, and the end of the cable nipple just slightly protrudes from the end of the rubber spacer, but not enough for me to do anything with it. If I pull the cable, I get one go with a couple of extra mm but if I let go (because I am not Vishnu and do not have 8 hands) the auto adjustment mechanism kicks in and I have to go kick the clutch pedal to release it, which pulls it through the rubber spacer (and knocks the spacer on the floor every fu:censored:ing time! :cry:).

This is SOOO frustrating! I tried jacking the clutch arm up a little further, but it looked like the whole engine was moving rather than the clutch arm moving to disengage the clutch, so I am reluctant to jack it any further and snap the arm off. Also the jack angle is a biatch so I'm not sure jacking further would assist anyway and perhaps why the whole engine looks like its moving. I've tied pulling the clutch arm up with my hands, but its a no go - I can take up the slack but I dont think I pull it up further than a jack can push it. Is the clutch arm supposed to be moveable past the slack point (that is probably a stupid question, but I need to know the answer for sure...), and if so, roughly by how much in cm or mm ??.

How the hell can I get about 10mm of play in this sodding cable?? Please, if anyone can offer any advice I would be very very grateful, the car has been off the road since Monday as I haven't had any time to look at it until today.

:(

Nick Nick

Ibiza Veteran, Leon Virgin
Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
Sorted. Needed another pair of hands to compress the cable just that little bit further while attaching the retainer clip.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise