Coilpack Failure - Which one?

TheMikeh

Aug 13, 2007
Hi,

Keep seeing and reading all these threads about coil packs failing on the car, but when they do go how do you know which coilpack it is which has failed on the car? will a VAG-COM tell me this information?

Thanks
Mike

shamoo

Jan 3, 2007
pretty sure the vag-com will tell you but once 1 has gone the others will proberly follow, so better off changing them all.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
I lift them one at a time with the engine running, if you get a bolt off of the side of the head then that one is OK!

Echoing an earlier point, if the engine does not get rougher that it already is... that's the one.

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Bit safer just to pull the plug off the back of the coilpack, much lower voltages involved as its not been stepped up to a few KV to fire the spark plug lol.
Had to replace one this week, just left the engine running and pulled the plug off the top of the coilpacks one at a time, it was number 1 this time. Replaced number 4 about 3 months ago!

Thank god I always carry a set of spare coils in the car ;)

neenor

Feb 14, 2008
doncaster
is there any upgrade for them, say the 1s from a 225 or newer model that are more reliable or is it just something u have to put up with??ta

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
You can buy bolt down ones but not sure if they are any more reliable. Just they stay in place a lot better :)

andycupra

status subject to change
a coil pack, is a coil. It takes the 12 volt supply and converts it to higher voltage for the spark plugs.
Traditionally cars had 1 or 2 for the engine and then HT leads to take the power to the spark plugs.
On the 1.8T there is a 'coil pack' for each spark plug. They fit onto the end of the spark plug.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
is there any upgrade for them, say the 1s from a 225 or newer model that are more reliable or is it just something u have to put up with??ta
There have been a number of revisions to spec, dealers will give you the latest one so it should be the most reliable. I buy mine second hand so expect them to fail at some point.

carew

Feb 16, 2008
Birmingham
a coil pack, is a coil. It takes the 12 volt supply and converts it to higher voltage for the spark plugs.
Traditionally cars had 1 or 2 for the engine and then HT leads to take the power to the spark plugs.
On the 1.8T there is a 'coil pack' for each spark plug. They fit onto the end of the spark plug.

thanks for explaining that to me.
is this the same sort of thing PowerCore ignition coil amplifiers VAG 1.8t:confused:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise