Cold start - tappy!

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Hi all,
Had my Formentor for coming up to a year now and there’s one thing that has gotten on my nerves from (I think) pretty much day 1.
On a cold start, whether it’s warm outside or not - the engine sounds like an absolute bag of spanners!
Give it even just 5 minutes of driving around and it’s gone, sounds perfect.

Anyone else experience this? I’ve come from previously owning a 1.5TSI in an Ateca which, whilst it sounded sweet even at a cold start - had other problems of its own 😂

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Which engine do you have in your Formentor? If it’s the 2.0 EA888 engine then a ‘tappety‘ noise on cold start up does seem to be a characteristic of that engine and is completely normal. I’ve read of a couple of probable causes;
- the high pressure fuel injectors.
- secondary air injection pump - a small air pump that pumps air into the exhaust to warm up the catalytic converter.

Last edited:

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
Prior to my Formentor I had a MINI JCW, the later one with the BMW B48 engine and that was the same, I was told it was the injectors and was normal, my 310 VZ2 doesn't seem to have this noise, or not that I've noticed.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Prior to my Formentor I had a MINI JCW, the later one with the BMW B48 engine and that was the same, I was told it was the injectors and was normal, my 310 VZ2 doesn't seem to have this noise, or not that I've noticed.
It does seem to be a characteristic of some Direct Injection engines; my BMW with the B48B20 engine sounds like a diesel on a cold start for about 15 seconds....according to the dealership "They all do that Sir".

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise