condensation in rear light cluster

shackbleep

Oct 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
anyone else found condensation in one of the rear light clusters?

I've seen a growing amount of condensation in the drivers-side brake-light/indicator cluster - its been there over a week now, and showing no sign of disappearing. In fact, its getting worse in that one light fitting.

I can't post a photo as I'm still a newbie on here.

Anyone else come across this?

I've booked the car into the dealership I bought it from 6 months ago (Seat Autoway Letchworth) in about 10 days time for them to take a look. Hoping its simple to sort out!

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Look around the edges where the inner light is bonded to the outer glass.
I had my car a week and got condensation and it had a tiny crack in the lens.

Dealer did not want to replace it under warranty as they said it had been hit, even though there was no outer damage to the cluster itself.

In the end I settled to half half each with them.
Price for the outer rear cluster is £146.00 inc vat from the stealers :(

shackbleep

Oct 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Look around the edges where the inner light is bonded to the outer glass.
I had my car a week and got condensation and it had a tiny crack in the lens.

Dealer did not want to replace it under warranty as they said it had been hit, even though there was no outer damage to the cluster itself.

In the end I settled to half half each with them.
Price for the outer rear cluster is £146.00 inc vat from the stealers :(

Thanks for that info!

The service dept from the dealership weren't that friendly at all when I phoned them up about it on friday. It's going in for them to have a look at in 2 weeks time. Fingers crossed. I've had a quick look and I can't see any cracks at all.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
What is the matter with these dealers? I had a similar problem with the additional brake light. They said I had done it trying to change a bulb. When I pointed out they were LEDs there was no answer except it was external forces.

This is just rubbish unless you keep your car in a garage wrapped in cotton wool. There will always be external forces which any maker needs to overcome by making their stuff strong enough.

A call to SEAT UK eventually resulted in a free replacement for goodwill based on the age (, less than 1 year ) and mileage (less than 5,000)

I would not pay half and suggest you try SEAT UK CS

Last edited:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
What is the matter with these dealers? I had a similar problem with the additional brake light. They said I had done it trying to change a bulb. When I pointed out they were LEDs there was no answer except it was external forces.

This is just rubbish unless you keep your car in a garage wrapped in cotton wool. There will always be external forces which any maker needs to overcome by making their stuff strong enough.

A call to SEAT UK eventually resulted in a free replacement for goodwill based on the age (>1 year ) and mileage (>5,000)

I would not pay half and suggest you try SEAT UK CS

Yes, the dealer just didn't seem to want to know when I showed them.
I could not prove or disprove it was there when I got the car and neither could they so we agreed to split the cost after I flat refused to leave after they said there was nothing they could do.

My next stop would have been going direct to SEAT UK for a replacement.
They did not charge vat on the bill, so I paid £60 for the new light, kept the old part, dried it all out and sealed it properly with silicone seal so I have a good spare as well now :)

I have been keeping an eye on any other owners that suffer from this as if it is a common problem, then I will get on the phone to SEAT about it.

I know there is a common problem with the third brake lights cracking around the washer although mine is still fine.
If it does crack, then I be looking for a warranty claim as it is a common fault going by the numbers here.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
IMO I can honestly say that B&H Motors Cumbria, are the best dealership (not just for buying Seat cars) I've dealt with. Any issue is looked at/resolved with the utmost professionalism required.

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Just bringing back this old thread as I had problem with condensation in the O/S rear light which I ended up paying half for a new light from my dealer two weeks after buying the car (Long story is in a post above).

Anyway, today I have noticed that the N/S rear cluster now has condensation in it :(
The one I replaced last year on the other side is still perfect.

Should I contact my dealer or just go straight to SEAT CS with this as my dealer was just not very interested until I kicked up a stink in the showroom.

Also have no intention of spending a penny on the replacement light either :)

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Well problem is still well known.
During production the lights are "clicked" in by hand with slight force and when they use too much force it get's cracked or even one of the studs that are there for this "clicking in" will break as mine was.
Sadly QC don't notice these damages for whatever reason but Seat knows it happens.
Here in Holland they swap them under warranty.

shackbleep

Oct 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
after sounding not helpful on the phone, I'm glad to say that my local dealership took one look at the car when I took it in and replaced the light cluster without any quibble under warranty. Sixysix - hope you find a dealership that does likewise!

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Will let you guys know what they say tomorrow.
Most cars suffer from condensation in the fronts and is quite normal.
The rears should never do it though.

The method of fitting at the factory is probable where the initial damage occurs as has been said.
Subaru/Toyota GT86 suffered major problems and recall with the rear lights because the bolts were over tightened at the factory which cause the internal seal to split in the lights and moisture was able to get in.

I think these rear light are suffering a similar issue.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.