Connectivity features missing from early built models?

DanMn

Nov 26, 2020
Hi there, first post on the forum, I purchased my Leon 1.5 eTSI First Edition in July.
The new infotainment system and associated app being rolled out with the latest SEAT models was clearly a work in progress and as expected there were delays to the app being released in the UK and the infotainment software has gradually been fixed & tweaked through updates. But it appears that early adopters may actually be missing components under the bonnet meaning that certain functionality such as remote lock/unlock won’t be possible. Seat marketed how these cars would receive updates over the coming years, being ready for the future with Car2X technology to communicate with other cars and infrastructure etc. However its looking increasingly like we’ll be back to business as usual where they sell you a car and quickly stopping support & updates, it seems incredibly short sighted of Seat to leave things like this out.

4E01AE9C-DC66-4660-BD99-A7524BF6FC98.jpeg

Reactions: Tell

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
How frustrating.
I’d be well annoyed. Then again I’d be well annoyed if my car needed an app for it to do what it should.
Is there really any point to all this tech??

Tell

Staff member
It's going to be interesting whether they can get their app side sorted. Historically their attempts at app development hasn't been good on the mib2 high and then the mib2 standard WiFi unit. More of an experiment with Alex and sending coordinates / destination to the car. A connected car is something quite different, a new level up all together. VW and Skoda rolled out mib2.5 which Seat never did on the connected services side.

I always thought that VAG app software development should be centralised rather than each brand doing it's own thing. My pet subject of how Mapcare was never made free to Seat as VW and Skoda (integrated mapping within the cars infotainment system and dash display) doesn't bode well if Seat tries to monetaries connected services but provide a lousy service. The first year is free. The uproar will come after that. Don't think they ever understood that they had to provide maps free and perpetuate the myth of Android Auto & Car Play as substitute but the mib3 headend to get the latest wifi 5ghz link isn't on those cars sold in the UK. Zn2. So they slowly dig a hole for themselves or prep the sales staff to cover it up for those fans of adjunct connected services where the car isnt fully integrated into your device and doesn't show you bang in front of your nose where you should go.

Think I'll wait for mib4 :unsure:.

Tell

Staff member
What is Mib 1,2,3,4 ?
Enjoy

》》
Modular Infotainment Matrix (MIB=Modularer Infotainment Baukasten in German) is a new architecture intended to solve a challenge that is becoming increasingly urgent – innovations in consumer electronics and rapid gains in computing power are being introduced at speeds that are much faster than the product cycles of automotive manufacturers.
《《

Mib2 ran from 2015 or so on Seats. Mib1 prior. Mib3 arrived 2019 on VW Passats only - probably as a pre-release test for full rollout in 2020 model range across the VAG brands (can be determined from the VW map update site the staging by year since completely different files used in the systems). Seems on all VAG models are Mib3 from this autumn ("2020 range"). Pretty important if Mib2 is still being fitted on some VAG vehicles since the suppose clock of 5 years for map upgrades to cease will start to run from then. 2025 could be that date based on 2020 being the year that mib2 was never fitted again. 5 year rules comes from what VW said about mib1 so assumed to follow on.

Mib3 although called "mib3" is a term used by followers of these systems. Its the one with full connect services as per the 2020 model Seats and the rest of the Vag range in 2020 (those that are shipped with mib2 are of interest for the support time clock running out on map upgrades).

Mib3 rollout here:

Mib4 I jokingly called the next one. Might be like Windows 10 and devolve. Danmn above names Car2x technology, more in this link. Probably mib4 ;).

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Yes. Connect services and new screen, ditto 2020 Ateca facelift.

"Connected car" with an eSim. On Seat none of the previous units had eSim. Built in SIM. Some mib2 on other VAG cars had a SIM slot, these will be Mib2.5 units which never got to Seat (Not sure about the Tarraco which had the emergency button by the mirror). So Seat skipped the preliminary roll out of connected cars so this is their big thing.

Leon is also button less, few more buttons on the face lifted Ateca 2020 if you like buttons ?.

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
I like the buttonless approach... to be honest. I understand both sides, but is more roomy and spacious and to complain that you need to push one button to enter the climate control which even if it had button you had to look down and see what temp you set up... and least here you look up.

Reactions: daniel_ley
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members