Considering 2015 Cupra 280 - need some advice

Feb 20, 2021
Just thought I'd ask for some advice in here where a lot of owners would be :)

The car I'm looking at is a Dec 2015 280 Cupra, and has 25k miles, 5 door DSG, 3 previous owners...I'm able to get a good price and trade in for my current car - (C30 diesel)

Whats is the 280 like to live with as a daily car? I obviously don't expect to get 45mpg like the Volvo got, but I'll be driving a good bit less due to working from home more.

Are servicing costs reasonable enough? Also are there any known issues with this car that end up leaving you with a big bill? Things to watch out for?

I test drove it yesterday and the performance was awesome...however an engine light did come on which put a dampener on things! Its through a big dealer though and they said it would go through the workshop again and I'd get a full printout of what caused it. I'd also get 6 month warranty.

Thanks in advance for the advice / tips

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
I daily mine when I'm not working from home or cycling.
Generally average near 30mpg in mixed conditions (300 miles from the tank, £50/60 to fill with Tesco momentum)
On a long motorway journey I've had 45mpg a few times.

Servicing is slightly more expensive than normal cars due to the DSG oil needing to be changed every 4 years and LSD oil every 3 years. I'd also change plugs more than a normal car too.

On the years when you're not doing those it will be as cheap though.

They're comfortable, refined enough and happy to just cruise around, but can be great fun when you want them to be.

I have no issues taking my kids out in mine, then hooning around once they're not in it.

Turbos are problematic on early models and most suffer from thermostat housing/water pump issues due to the design (across the ea888 engine family).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Pre-lockdown, I was doing 10-12k pa in my 2015 Cupra SC and comfort is fine, much better than my wife's A-class. I've done 300 miles in a day without fatigue.

The diff oil change is the only requirement unique to the Cupra, the standard services cost the same as any other Leon, £200 (minor) or £320 (major) in UK. DSG oil & filter change costs £230 (every 4 years) and diff oil change costs £100 (every 3 years).

I've had my car four years and the only non-consumable maintenance I've done on mine was a rear light cluster, which was changed under warranty. As @Dannnn mentions, water pumps and thermostat housing can be a problem due to them being plastic. Blocked heater matrix is another common problem - check that the heater is blowing hot on both sides - but you can fix this yourself for £80 in parts.

A DSG failure will cost megabucks to fix but these are extremely rare.

My fuel consumption is the same as @Dannnnn's.

Tyre life varies a lot. 14,000 miles is achievable on Michelins (if you can avoid puctures) but Continental's can be done in 6,000 miles.

I would worry about the engine light being on though, unless you're sure it's just a sensor failure.

Feb 20, 2021

Yeah I'm waiting to hear what the engine light issue was. It's not a great start when it comes on during a test drive! It would have the 6 month warranty but its would be at the back of the mind that I've bought a lemon

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.