Constant cold start, even when warm

westy989

Nov 28, 2009
Cambridge
Hey,

As I'm sure most LCR owners are aware, when the car is first started the revs sit higher for about 1-2 mins whilst the car is cold usually first start in the morning.

For the past few months even when mine is warm such as driving for 30 minutes then stop for petrol, when I restart the car it splutters and the revs fling up to about the same as a cold start and sit there for a couple of minutes basically 're doing the cold start even know the car is warm.

It's gradually got to the point where it does this every time I stop and restart the car wether it's warm or not.

I also now have an engine light come on, but therejs no difference In the way it drives, no performance issues or anything obvious happening.

Anyone that can help me would be grately appreciated !

Thanks
Michael

Bouncerbeater

Old enough to know better
Mar 15, 2013
Gloucestershire
Certainly sounds like coolant temp sensor, I had the same a few weeks ago, changed sensor and did the thermostat at same time as temp was sitting low on a run. Sorted it straight out

westy989

Nov 28, 2009
Cambridge
Thanks very much for the replies,

I am a bit of an idiot with cars and I apologise if this is ridiculous but what do you mean by "flats"?

Also it sounds very much the same issue as the last comment, mine also runs at a low temperature when on a run, I assumed this was because it was freezing outside and I have heat shield etc.

Is the thermosat and temp sensor easy to fit or will it be a trip to the garage ? Also any ideas on price and best place to buy ?

I have a mechanic that can do small jobs on the drive for me.

Thanks in advance lads

Azza_

Sep 17, 2008
South Shields
spluttery starts and revs high can also be caused by the crank position sensor, although this normally brings up an EPC light too

westy989

Nov 28, 2009
Cambridge
Thanks for the reply lads, I have a guy coming round with a code reader in about 5 minutes so will let you know what it says.

I think I will try the cold temp sensor first as its cheap.

I have already replaced the crank shaft postion sensor with a genuine part at £80 so it better not be that !

westy989

Nov 28, 2009
Cambridge
Hi guys, cold temp sensor doesn't appear to have changed it. It did for a little bit but now the light is back on.

The situation is that the water temp doesn't ever seem to rise properly unless at a stand still. I drove the entire way to Birmingham last week and it never reached 90 degrees until I sat in traffic. However the warm air seems to eventually come through. It takes a lot longer than it should to get properly hot but it will get there.

Does this sound like thermostat ?

Richp

Jan 30, 2015
Sounds like the stat. I'm having same issue at the moment. The code I get is for the the sensor or stat. I've changed the sensor and the stat is being done next week while in for cambelt.

Think the stat is a diy job though if a little fiddly to get to.

westy989

Nov 28, 2009
Cambridge
You'll have to let me know wether it fixes your issue, I recon I will give it a go myself. I can't think of anything else it could be ! Thanks for reply mate

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Hi guys, cold temp sensor doesn't appear to have changed it. It did for a little bit but now the light is back on.

The situation is that the water temp doesn't ever seem to rise properly unless at a stand still. I drove the entire way to Birmingham last week and it never reached 90 degrees until I sat in traffic. However the warm air seems to eventually come through. It takes a lot longer than it should to get properly hot but it will get there.

Does this sound like thermostat ?

Thermostat :)

Richp

Jan 30, 2015
In case you haven't swapped it out yet. Got the car back with a new stat in and problem solved. Gets up to temp and stays there. Heaters nice and hot and warms starts correctly.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise