coolants

teldoyle

Oct 25, 2012
hi guys

you've proberbly covered this subject a millions times, my daughter has a 2004 seat Ibiza 1.2 and the coolant is red in colour will this be normal long life coolant or will it be g12 as it says on the header tank, can a visual check determine this.

what is g12 coolant and what is oat coolant

thanks

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If it is the original VAG supplied coolant then it will be G12, G12+, G12++ or G13 if replaced. They are all long life products. If someone has replaced it with a "suitable" red equivalent, it might not be long life.

OAT is Organic Acid Technology, is a newer type of additive that is easier to dispose of and not so prone to be drunk by cats etc - if you find that a problem. Note that OAT and previous brews do not mix very well, they will cause gelling that will block the small spaces in the coolant system.

Sorry, missed saying that G12 etc etc are all OAT.

Last edited:

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Just to note:

G12 is red in colour and can only be mixed with G12.
G12+, G12++ and G13 is purple and can be mixed together.

G13 is the latest version of the coolant.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I don't want to disagree, but cars of 2001(guess) onwards were filled with G12, when G12 supplies were exhausted after the introduction of G12+, that was the only substitute and as far as I know, be added to a car filled with G12. Same thing happened when G12+ made way for G12++, each time improvements were incorp'd - can't say exactly what. When VAG next updated their coolant additive I guessed that G12+++ sounded a bit of a laugh, so common sense dictated, for use in older cars, it could be added to G12, G12+ and G12++ - though to maximise the benefits of the later variants, only empty > flush > refill with latest coolant additive - and for that same reason you should not plan to top up a G12+ car with G12 as it makes no sense.

G11(?) I think was the previous coolant and that one was maybe yellow - I was not a VAG owner back then, no attempt should be made to mix G11 with any later coolants from VAG.

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
I stand corrected.

G12+ can be mixed with G12 - This may explain better:

CoolantMixChart.jpg

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
So the standard G12 stuff is ok to be mixed with other OAT type coolant??

If you mean OAT type from other suppliers, I think the answer could be, if it states it conforms with the same specification that the VAG stuff does, then yes - it does follow that it will also be the same colour (just to reduce the one you choose). Typically I'd just make the effort to avoid any issues by buying the VAG stuff as it is typically the same price.

From Badgers previous post, it looks like my guess about G11 colour was wrong - it must have been blue.

teldoyle

Oct 25, 2012
been into euro car parts to see if they stock G12 ect they said they have it then went on to say it isn't g12 but its still red the same as G12 and turn to jelly when mixed with G12 I asked them a bit further and they said red mixes with red but cant be mixed with blue.
does that sound right to you guys

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Look, why waste time worrying about this - if you are concerned about which stuff is correct, get along to your local Seat/VW/Audi/Skoda/TPS place and buy a bottle of the only stuff that they will be selling for modern VAG cars - ie G13 - it will not cost much more, if any more money than the ECP stuff - which I'd suspect is compatible with G12 etc.

chris2209

Apr 19, 2016
I see a few posts saying not to mix G11 into the G13 standard coolant, does anyone have experience of doing this? I have today added G11 to my 6 month old Cupra (don't ask!), and am now seriously worried

I have looked on The Seat website and the info sheet for their G13 actually states that it can be mixed with G11,G12,+,++, but I am going to phone them anyway and see how much it will cost to get the system flushed ASAP. Is it safe to drive or is there more risk of the coolant going gloopy?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

chris2209

Apr 19, 2016
I phoned SMC Woking and they said a small amount won't do any harm (I only topped up about 150ml)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.