Cooling Fan Relay / Fan staying on permanently?

aidtheace

May 6, 2014
Stoke-on-Trent
Hi all,

My girlfriend has an Ibiza Cupra 2011, and just the other day the fan stayed on after turning the car off.
It will not go off until either, the battery dies, or I disconnect the battery.
Iv taken it to the local VAG Garage and they have said it is the Cooling Fan Relay and that it would cost around £200 for the part, £140 Labour + VAT!
Now, has anyone come across this before, and is this something that I can do myself?
Surely a relay cant be that hard? Or I maybe very wrong.

Hopefully someone can help me, as I don't really want to be forking out a small fortune!

Thanks in advance,

Aiden.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
First port of call me would be to find the offending relay in the fuse/relay box and pull it, down to my local factors and look for a replacement, as you say most relays aren’t that complex.

Reactions: Woody_72

e_cupra

Apr 19, 2020
The Stealers at it again...

Locate the relay and take it from there, but it should be a fairly easy job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
So, Its actually the Cooling Fan Assembly is the problem according to the guy I just picked it up from.

I'd think so, so an assembly with probably 2 relays built into it. but, is this a 100% diagnosis as it could be a wiring problem instead, the fan controller will have a signal input connector and drive/power outputs to the fans.

Use the normal source to give you an idea of where it is located and take it from there, VW Group use the same systems on most small/medium cars.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.