Cordy cutting out

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Had it happen a couple of times over the last week.

It's only happened when I've changed down a gear approaching lights etc, and the engine just dies. No juddering or anything, just the lights on the dash flashing and the rev counter drops to 0rpm.

Luckily it's been when I've been coming to a stop, so I've been able to re-start it without having to pull over.

However, it's damn anoying !!!

Going to check all the usual over the weekend, sparks, leads, dizzy, vacuum pipes etc.

Anything else anyone can suggest ?!?

Cheers,
Andy

andyj

It did it again this afternoon, this time I was pottering along at about 30mph in 4th with little/no throttle. Went to accelerate a little, and it just died.

Tried bump starting it as I was still moving, but no luck. So I just turned the ignition off and back on and it started fine.

The odd thing was, that before I turned the ignition off, it seemed like the engine was still running (despite rev counter reading 0rpm). Then when I turned the ign off, it felt like the engine stopped, like it normally does......

I'm stumped by this! Anyone ?!??

funkinmental

mine has just done this loads.

i dont know why
and it has resulted in a completely baffled me parking the cordy and buying a Leon to run around in.

had the ecu checked, no bother,
checked spark an d immobiliser, no bother,
fuel, yes
cant work it out, but now it wont even start and i'm really confused!

yellow ibiza

had the same thing happen to me on my 2.0 16v cordy. turned out to be the camshaft positioning sensor:(

yellow ibiza

something to do with telling the e.c.u what the engines doing?? i think the sensor was £120 ish?? + labour

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
My old Polo went through a phase of doing this and after checking out fuel, ignition etc. it turned out it was vacuum related. Slightly different kettle of fish though, being old skool motor with no ECU, no injection and quite possibly one of the nastiest carburettors of all time...

Re: fuelly smells - it may be related, it may not. My Ibiza was making some rather worrying smells whilst I was back in the UK over the Xmas period. Unexplained fuelly smells are never good, so checked it out pronto. Turns out the short flexible hose from the main fuel supply (hard) line onto the injector rail was starting to perish at the end, giving rise to a minor leak. Seemed ok when engine was running and fuel was flowing, only leaking when engine got turned off as it was acting like a pressure relief valve, albeit one set at too low a pressure! Particularly worrying on a 2.0 8v as this is all going on directly above the exhaust manifold. I guess the same could happen on the other flexy hose that comes off the injector rail and recycles fuel back to the tank - possibly more likely as return line is handling "sour" fuel (i.e. not pressurised, meaning fuel and air mix). Get them flexies checked Andy. Just slack off the jubilee clips and check the end of the hoses. You may find the hose in better shape if you trim it back half an inch, but the hoses are moulded so should really be replaced if there's a problem.

funkinmental

thanks for the suggestions!

well i wish i could say it was the coil, and also i wish i knew if it was crankcase position sensor.

i have a vag-com lead, just no software yet.

and also a mate told me i need a really old laptop to use it? is this true if so what do i need??

i have a spark at the plugs and the dizzy cap is fine! argh!

andyj

Dad came up with a good suggestion last night.....

There could be some 'cr4p' in the fuel lines which is acting like a butterfly valve, is is occasionally blocking the line, causing the engine to die.

Now this could make sense.

When I bought the car, the Petrol had been allowed to run to almost fumes. Mainly because the guy couldn't open the petrol cap due to the central locking not working!!! (or so he thought! ;) )

Therefore, the was the opportunity for any 'cr4p' in the bottom of the tank to be sucked intot he fuel lines.

Going to have a good look round on Saturday and see what I can find.

Might take it to the local garage, and get them to blow compressed air down the fuel line, from either direction to try and clear anything that might be blocking it.

Will also have a look at the fuel filter to.

Andy

funkinmental

tank end i think,

although mine did it for several full tanks before finally dying and it has just had a full service the week before.

including fuel filter.

then injector cleaner

:headhurt:

FR-RUSH

IBIZA FR TDI BLACK MAGIC
Dec 3, 2005
Islington
mine used to do that. new coil sorted it, but also check lines to the left of the engine bay. blue hard pipes, mine leaked.

andyj

Got a spare coil sorted, so I can try that and see if that helps.

Going to stick the car up on ramps on Saturday morning (weather permitting of course!) and check the entire fuel system, back to front!

Any idea where the 'crank position sensor' is located on a 1.6 AFT engine ?!? ;)

Andy

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.