Cost cutting

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Anyone else get the feeling there are now a lot of bits missing from the Leon that are present in the more expensive Golf/ A3?

There are the obvious big things like Multi-link rear suspension on all versions and the electric handbrake, but I keep noticing lots of little features that have disappeared such as the hydraulic bonnet struts and rear air vents.

Previously the big selling points with SEATs is you are effectively getting a VW/ Audi product at a lower price, but with these constant changes that is pretty much going to vanish, especially given the price differential is less than it was before and is almost entirely lost by the weaker residuals.

I don't have my Ibiza anymore and had been considering buying the new Leon next year, but I can't see myself coming back anymore.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
A few more I spotted inside (with pictures from Paris)

Plastic DSG cover:
leon-imag0896-img.jpg

No sunglasses holder:
leon-imag0898-img.jpg

Plastic interior door handle:
6457662013SeatLeon000091.jpg

No drivers grab handle:
salon__2012__Mondial_de_l-Automobile_2012__Seat_Leon__DSC01928_960.jpg

Non-adjustable boot floor:
salon__2012__Mondial_de_l-Automobile_2012__Seat_Leon__DSC01929_-2-_960.jpg

In isolation each of those may not mean much, but everything together adds up to an inferior lower quality product.

The Golf MK7 on the other hand is sublime inside:
newgolfinterior.jpg

... with the A3 taking it a notch further:
newa3interior.jpg

Deleted member 74601

You can't expect to pay ~£3K-4K less for a car and still get everything in it.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
The Golf also has two different suspension systems although there 140 GT has multilink, whereas the SEAT 140 FR does not. The biggest grip across VAG's brands is that the MBQ is supposed to be cheaper to build and offer greater economies of scale.

Prices still seem to be rising, when you think back to 2003 and a fully loaded Leon MK1 Cupra 180 was £14999, and now a Leon FR 1.8TSi with similar power is pushing towards 22K, makes you stop and think. Even factoring extra safety kit and the cost of emission regulations being met.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
You can't expect to pay ~£3K-4K less for a car and still get everything in it.

The issue is more that some of these features have been included with the Leon in the past, the MK1 even shared an interior with the A3.

With the prices, there is only £1665 beteween the Audi and Leon in 2.0 TDI 150 SE form and like I said in my OP that difference is justified up by the stronger residuals.

The Golf also has two different suspension systems although there 140 GT has multilink, whereas the SEAT 140 FR does not. The biggest grip across VAG's brands is that the MBQ is supposed to be cheaper to build and offer greater economies of scale.

Golf is still multi-link for all versions

Prices still seem to be rising, when you think back to 2003 and a fully loaded Leon MK1 Cupra 180 was £14999, and now a Leon FR 1.8TSi with similar power is pushing towards 22K, makes you stop and think. Even factoring extra safety kit and the cost of emission regulations being met.

Agree, they are rapidly losing their USP.

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
Just looking at the new A3 even the S Line almost everything is an optional extra, cruise control, parking sensors, Bluetooth, folding mirrors, all cost and they aren't cheap.

I added a few of them and I was already up to £28k

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Golf is still multi-link for all versions

I have read two articles that seem to state that it has torsion beam on the cheaper models maybe some conflicting info out there???

"Cheaper models will have simple torsion beam rear suspension and the more upmarket models will have more sophisticated multi-link suspensions."

"One interesting development is that versions sold with 'under 122bhp' will be switching back to having a torsion beam rear axle in place of the multi-link system of the mk5/ mk6 Golf. More powerful versions will stick with a development of the multi-link."

Cougar

Jul 10, 2011
A few more I spotted inside (with pictures from Paris)

No sunglasses holder

Disappointing, but what's (Possibly) more irritating is they included the sunglasses holder in the new Toledo!

546179_10151185449369253_1378969699_n.jpg

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Disappointing, but what's (Possibly) more irritating is they included the sunglasses holder in the new Toledo!

546179_10151185449369253_1378969699_n.jpg

Good spot! Guess that's because the Toledo interior borrows heavily from VW/ Skoda (loosely based on the current shape Polo) whereas SEAT designed the interior of the new Leon. Seems to be a recurring theme, I was always very dissapointed with the interior quality of my Ibiza SC and when I had a look at the Mii and Citigo found them to be a lot more solid and better built.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I have to admit at being quite tempted by the Toledo is looks like the better value family car the Leon used to be. Well equipped, decent space and not bad value either.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I have to admit at being quite tempted by the Toledo is looks like the better value family car the Leon used to be. Well equipped, decent space and not bad value either.

Sadly that's because it's a stretched Ibiza, rather than a Leon chassis that lurks beneath

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Sadly that's because it's a stretched Ibiza, rather than a Leon chassis that lurks beneath

Very true, but even the Leon lower down the range does away with multilink, and as good as the cheaper MBQ platform is, can it really justify it's premium? Will you really notice unless undertaking more spirited driving?

After studying the pictures SEAT has put money into the weak area of the Leon, the 'interior' and looks like a decent job. Just not sure if it is worth the premium, and look forward to seeing a Toledo and MKIII Leon side by side.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
On the SEAT facebook page they've posted a pic of the Leon with rear air vents and an arm rest which i presume will also be standard!
643867_10151183779104253_795018035_n.jpg

It's still the best specced Leon yet IMO. Ok it's missing a sunglasses holder and drivers grab handles, but if I needed those things I'd get a Golf, the Golf/A3 will always be better cars

The Ibiza is completely poverty spec compared to its cousins, even the fabia has the option of the maxi dot trip computer! :(

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
True. Speaking of which I'd been hoping we'd see the production facelift Ibiza Cupra at Paris... but no joy :(

Wonder if the fact they are dropping the twincharged unit might mean it will never see light of day

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.