Cupra 240 oil consumption

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
Just curious if anyone has excessive oil consumption and what would be considered the norm with these engines

I had a octy vrs tfsi which done a litre every 600mile

And my cupra uses around 600ml per 1000mile

I thought the bwj engine didnt use alot of oil?

leon cupra 1p stage 1 , 3inch turbo back exhaust , forge twintake , r8 coil packs

Njfrancique

Apr 8, 2016
Sounds about normal to me. My cupra is the 2008 BWJ engine, also stage 1 and 3" milltek cat back. It uses around a litre every 2000 miles so pretty much the same as yours. Although if I drive gently for a few weeks she hardly uses any oil at all! That's rare though.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Jairm88

Mar 1, 2010
I keep a close eye on my oil level although I don't do many miles in it maybe 2000 a year but it doesn't use any oil at all, 2007 BWJ

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
Sounds about normal to me. My cupra is the 2008 BWJ engine, also stage 1 and 3" milltek cat back. It uses around a litre every 2000 miles so pretty much the same as yours. Although if I drive gently for a few weeks she hardly uses any oil at all! That's rare though.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reassurance lol

Ive had it 3 months and have had to topup twice...the guy who sold it me give me castrol edge 10w40 but iv put in quantum 5w40 as recommended when i serviced the car when i bought it

Theres no info anywhere about cupra 240s and oil consumption just mainly tfsi 200bhp variants

leon cupra 1p stage 1 , 3inch turbo back exhaust , forge twintake , r8 coil packs

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
I keep a close eye on my oil level although I don't do many miles in it maybe 2000 a year but it doesn't use any oil at all, 2007 BWJ
Please update if it does pal , i origonally thought that these stronger lumps didn't use oil being a turbo i expected a little

Jairm88

Mar 1, 2010
Please update if it does pal , i origonally thought that these stronger lumps didn't use oil being a turbo i expected a little

Iv never topped up my oil just changed it once a year, Iv read somewhere a few people's cars use oil until half way down the dipstick then don't use any once it's at that level

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
Iv never topped up my oil just changed it once a year, Iv read somewhere a few people's cars use oil until half way down the dipstick then don't use any once it's at that level
Il give that a try and see if it sits still next time

Btw mate i was reading your build thread the other day , your leon is somewhat very naughty lol

Iv started life my with cupra with the same approach...its only going stage 2.

Jairm88

Mar 1, 2010
Il give that a try and see if it sits still next time

Btw mate i was reading your build thread the other day , your leon is somewhat very naughty lol

Iv started life my with cupra with the same approach...its only going stage 2.

Haha thanks mate it's been a labour of love.

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
Haha thanks mate it's been a labour of love.
I thought the oil consumption may have resulted in a rebuild as i was happily looking at forged rods and pistons thinking ahh perhaps its not such a bad thing afterall

When i saw the tte420 i was like...my man!! thats real love there brother

Your an inspiration to us all with a end result of stop kidding yourself guys and get the wallet out

Galloway1988

May 14, 2017
I have topped my Ibiza Cupra up 2x since Feb the first time it was critically low as i did not realise that it used so much so fast. Now i keep an eye on it and check every weekend.

Although i am doing around 170 miles a week.

Use the best Oil to get the best out of the car, i stick to what it says on the oil cap, which is Castrol 5w/40.

Jairm88

Mar 1, 2010
I thought the oil consumption may have resulted in a rebuild as i was happily looking at forged rods and pistons thinking ahh perhaps its not such a bad thing afterall

When i saw the tte420 i was like...my man!! thats real love there brother

Your an inspiration to us all with a end result of stop kidding yourself guys and get the wallet out

Haha cheers mate that made me laugh!!!!

Jul 3, 2020
Kent
Sorry to revive an old thread but i have just recently picked up a BWJ cupra (this weekend) and have noticed a ridiculous consumption in oil myself. Its quite hard to find information on this issue with the BWJ engine as most i see are to do with early A4’s and a5’s.

Im a little worried as its my first big engine turbo car and am still sort of feeling the ropes somewhat on the maintennance and care side of things with this sort of car.

I do think my PCV valve is absolutely shot as i have strange boost characteristics, excessive oil consumption and a misfire on idle but would a shoddy PCV really cause it to drink exceptionally large amounts of oil?

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
Sorry to revive an old thread but i have just recently picked up a BWJ cupra (this weekend) and have noticed a ridiculous consumption in oil myself. Its quite hard to find information on this issue with the BWJ engine as most i see are to do with early A4’s and a5’s.

Im a little worried as its my first big engine turbo car and am still sort of feeling the ropes somewhat on the maintennance and care side of things with this sort of car.

I do think my PCV valve is absolutely shot as i have strange boost characteristics, excessive oil consumption and a misfire on idle but would a shoddy PCV really cause it to drink exceptionally large amounts of oil?

When you say exceptionally large amount of oil how many miles are we talking to a litre etc. My 2007 Cupra BWJ has always used oil since I got it in 2009. About 5-600 miles to a litre. Also since a rebuild with forged pistons and rods in 2015 it still does it so even this didnt cure it. I think its just the way these engines are on the whole.

Jul 3, 2020
Kent
When you say exceptionally large amount of oil how many miles are we talking to a litre etc. My 2007 Cupra BWJ has always used oil since I got it in 2009. About 5-600 miles to a litre. Also since a rebuild with forged pistons and rods in 2015 it still does it so even this didnt cure it. I think its just the way these engines are on the whole.
I havent done a lot of miles since ive had it, ive only had it since sunday and have done about 200 miles in it and have already had to top it up.

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
With the engine running can you remove the oil filler cap? If it's like a vacuum and you can't remove it the PCV is done.

Jul 3, 2020
Kent
With the engine running can you remove the oil filler cap? If it's like a vacuum and you can't remove it the PCV is done.

I’ll give this a go tomorrow, not sure why i havent tested this yet to be honest lol read up about it enough now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 3, 2020
Kent
f*ck me.. a litre every 600 miles.. or not far off a litre a tank.. that madness.

This is what i mean. I knew 2.0 tfsi’s characteristically consumed oil but i thought it would be about a litre a year... not a litre a month. Although some people’s do and some dont, it all seems so uncertain which is frustrating. Im gona get mine compression tested sometime soon to try and at least either put a blame to something or put my mind at ease.

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
This is what i mean. I knew 2.0 tfsi’s characteristically consumed oil but i thought it would be about a litre a year... not a litre a month. Although some people’s do and some dont, it all seems so uncertain which is frustrating. Im gona get mine compression tested sometime soon to try and at least either put a blame to something or put my mind at ease.

Mine was down to the turbo seals on that mk2 cupra , my new one (2007 126k bwj engine) uses little to none I've done 700mile and it has not moved but it did have a new turbo at 111k

Is yours decatted? I noticed my silver one started consuming oil when I fitted my decat pipe

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members