Cupra 280 DSG Gearbox warning message

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
If there was a recall customers would be be notified, hence the name. I've already been told that there are no technical bulletins that apply to my car's VIN number. This is probably why the second dealer turned me away, they didn't have a set of written instructions to tell them how to fix it...

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
If there was a recall customers would be be notified, hence the name. I've already been told that there are no technical bulletins that apply to my car's VIN number. This is probably why the second dealer turned me away, they didn't have a set of written instructions to tell them how to fix it...
The documentation I had said customers won't be written to

Rokerlad

Sep 25, 2004
East of Eden

Not sure what your beef is. Take your car in and get it sorted. No miles were put on my car when it was in for the fix so nothing to worry about there with mechanics ragging your car. It's a pain in the arse to be without your car for a day but take it on the chin.

Riggsy77

Sep 7, 2014
La Linea, Spain
Dropped mine off this morning Gearbox warning, ACC Warning and Engine management light have all come on then turned off after restarting the engine. Also sat nav keeps defaulting to Germany. They seemed aware of the problems.

sdccupra

Sep 4, 2014
Just got it two weeks ago. Car wouldnt start. Switched off ignition and then started again.

They changed the gearbox control module or similar.

Also rear brake pads have been changed as they were creaking really bad.

And due to the door rattles it has had 2 services :) And now 3rd soon as its got even worse.

so basically 5000 kms and:

wiper blades
doors 2x
rear brake pads(only after i demanded official response why SEAT doesnt change them as dealer said its a common problem and factory doesnt pay for new ones. Surprise, surprise its many times less creaking after pads change after demanding official response).
gearbox module

Have been in service more times than my previous used cars!

Good thing is that the car is besides its problems also a 100% positive hooligan and now fast as hell ! :)

Love and hate really :)

Last edited:

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Mine must be ok as I have VSS____5F_FR007*** so don't have the ER and the last 6 digits are not in the range either.:D Would think the FR means your motor is ok too.

Had this warning come up today even though my car is not in the vin range mentioned earlier, switched off and the message was gone on restart. Car drove perfect on way home, so I suppose I will have to visit dealer, this is first fault in the 5 plus months (2500M) I have had the car, still no rattles though.

Stever750

Nov 20, 2014
West Wales
Ok, got it. Hope this works..

https : //pdf.yt/d/KWU79Pb4-B2Nyop3

(remove spaces - I can't post a URL because I'm a noob)

More worrying, this means that the DQ250 box is fitted to the Cupra, which has a torque limit of 350Nm. Beware all ye remappers. The DQ500 has a limit of 600Nm and is used on the biturbo passat. This is a bit of a bummer.

Last edited:

QBALL81

cupra 280 dsg white
Sep 12, 2013
belfast
I've nearly had enough of my 280 cupra two months ago my turbo went (excessive impeller play) then my oil cap came off covering engine in oil and just had it recovered yesterday.So read through this site and found this page so was hoping it was just the gear selecter that needed replacing and just received a call to say that a new gearbox is to be installed and the part is on back order and with Christmas that I will be waiting a while.It's the season to be jolly my hole Hi guys was pissed off when I posted and has took awhile to calm down but just to confirm I am getting a new gearbox and Dave from sere had to order it there is only 5000 miles on my cupra just to make yous all aware

Last edited:

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
More worrying, this means that the DQ250 box is fitted to the Cupra, which has a torque limit of 350Nm. Beware all ye remappers. The DQ500 has a limit of 600Nm and is used on the biturbo passat. This is a bit of a bummer.

You're wrong here, these are the figures for the 1P.
The DQ250 fitted in the Cupra/G7R/S3 has a torque limit of 450Nm.
There are some tuners who can upgrade the software where it shifts more quickly and smooth and they can take it to 500Nm.

Stever750

Nov 20, 2014
West Wales
You're wrong here, these are the figures for the 1P.
The DQ250 fitted in the Cupra/G7R/S3 has a torque limit of 450Nm.
There are some tuners who can upgrade the software where it shifts more quickly and smooth and they can take it to 500Nm.
That's interesting, what's your info source? I can only find info on the 350Nm version being fitted which is on a recall notice. It doesn't make sense to fit a box rated at the engine torque output ie no safety margin, unless it's purely an electronic limit.

Do you know the code variant of the box? Any tech info links? Thanks.

There is a press release from vw stating the golf 400 release is subject to a box capable of 500nm, though the passat biturbo makes.. 500nm and comes with DSG. Figure that out.

Last edited:

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Considering that on the golf 6r some people are running in excess of 400ftlbs on standard clutchpacks with dsg software and the latest dq250 has uprated clutchpacks as standard over the previous gen, I think we will be fine with this box.

Mine does slip off the line when launching now its mapped with a few boltons but has standard gearbox software, as far as I know there isn't any uprated gearbox software yet but theres tuners working on that so will be fine after.

Stever750

Nov 20, 2014
West Wales
I'm sure you can, but personally I would not want to be running with any additional slip in the clutch pack. There are plenty of tuners who can remap the tcu to uprate the electronic torque limit, and increase the clamping pressure. You could fit uprated clutch packs (though sachs haven't releases an uprated version yet) which would mitigate that problem, but I don't want the additional expense personally. I really don't want to pushing the envelope of the units max physical capability. Controlling torque and temperature are the key parameters to avoid excessive wear.

Last edited:

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Plenty of tuners being who exactly? There isn't a tcu map out for the latest tcu yet.

With a map the dsg will easily handle the increased torque EASILY!

End of the day you go to pay to play, if your not willing to do that.. stay stock!

Regardless the dsg definitely isn't rated to 350nm.

Last edited:

Stever750

Nov 20, 2014
West Wales
REVO already claiming tcu mapping for the golf R, Apr, shark and the guys doing mine all about to release it, but none have told me it's a "new" gearbox. I can't find anything on a new version of the dq250. There's a dq280 but that is not fitted to the leon. If you've got links to info that would be really useful. I'll have a chat with some of my contacts at ZF too in the new year, see what they know.

I'm not in the game if paying for mods without knowing what the potential side effects are. If a tuner doesn't know what they could be then frankly I'd not trust them to do anything to my car.

Last edited:

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
The tcu is different and the security is a lot harder to crack. So theres no tcu software out yet then kinda like I said no?

No one is in the game of paying for mods without knowing the potential side affects but then no one suggested that did they? Nice edit though...

You can talk to your "contacts" at ZF but they didn't make the dsg box BorgWarner did so youd be wasting your time there.

Stever750

Nov 20, 2014
West Wales
I'm just interested in finding out more about the gearbox, that's all! I know ZF are not the OE manufacturers, but they'll know all about it as a competitor. I'm not trying to be clever btw, just genuinely interested, and if nothing else, I'll not pay for something I don't fully understand, and not just car related.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.