Cupra 290/300 - Estate vs Hatchback

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
The lesser weight in the FWD Cupra is the reason back when the 280 came out that its time for a lap of the green mile was quicker than the Golf R 4WD. So a 4WD will beat you off the lights, but then is carrying extra weight for everwhere else.
Exactly right , 4 wheel drive is a great all rounder but on a spirited summers day drive down a country lane the 2wd Cupra would be more fun.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I think that people are just used to FWD, since that's been the dominant drivetrain for 30 years or so. I do not think there is any difference in fun to be had from the two vehicles because the differences are marginal where ppl are citing a difference that's fun/risk related.

I pretty sure it's only the driver aids keeping the vehs on the road in many cases.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
The lesser weight in the FWD Cupra is the reason back when the 280 came out that its time for a lap of the green mile was quicker than the Golf R 4WD. So a 4WD will beat you off the lights, but then is carrying extra weight for everwhere else.
This is why I originally had a 280, it drove better than the Golf R and just felt more nimble. But as I am now older have a kid I thought, I needed a family wagon and the 300 4drive ticketed all the boxes. Still amazes me when drive sensibly how efficient it is.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
The Cupra 4wd is something like 80kg more than the 2Wd and the golf 160kg more than the 2WD Cupra. Going to depend on equipment and stuff, big speakers are heavy for example

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Plenty of vids on YouTube showing the 2wd is more alive and agile.
Granted some vids are older with the 280 up against golf R etc but it shows performance in the VW group engines and drivetrains.
Roth watching.
In honestly if you never get it on track you’ll not really push as far as a car will go. Unless you have a death wish of course.
Then it’s down to lifestyle and practicality as to which one one should choose.
They are both pretty impressive out the box.
Stage 1 map and an intake would make either a complete blast.
I’d be happy with either.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: Butty