Cupra 290 drop in fuel consumption

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
You will know if an active regen is taking place as the amber ‘particulate’ warning will be illuminated on the dash/infotainment module.

I had this after my car was in the dealer for repairs - obviously been left in low idle for quite a while.

The owners manuals c.2018 incorrectly describe what action is to be taken e.g. similar to diesel particulate filter maintain high revs using lower gear - this makes the situation worse. For the petrol GPF it’s similar to what @SRGTD described above - high gear/low revs, achieve 50 mph then coast - repeat until the warning lamp switches off.

To be honest this EA888 engine does run hot when compared to other VAG engines.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Interesting that the Leon has an amber illuminated particulate warning during an active regen. My VW doesn’t have one of these 🙁.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
A change from 40mpg to low 30s is a RISE in fuel consumption.
In my FR the change from E5 to E10 has caused slightly more petrol to be consumed; although you're probably using higher grade fuel which is still E5.
BUT its a DROP in MPG - Miles Per Gallon ;)

May 9, 2022
I've had my manual 290 Black ST for five and a half years now. its still a blast and i am only ever gentle with her when my wife is in the car :). Being an old man i record all fuel I have put in the car and mileage etc. I must say I have never considered why the MPG varies from tank to tank, i simply put it down to how hard I have been driving. I primarily use Tesco Super unleaded (its cost effective!). Below is the summary of fuel usage over £50k miles.
Total CostLitresMilesmpg
Totals
£8,408.26​
6485.49​
35.18​
Average mpg
28.85​
Worst mpg
40.70​
Best mpg

The best mpg was achieved on a run to Leeds (254 miles) with my wife in the car in March this year with air conditioning off and the heater controls set to the same temperature as showing on the external temperature on the dashboard. Somewhere around 18c. Much of the run was done on cruise control at either 77 or 52 depending on whether we were in an average speed limit set at 50mph or on a national speed limit piece of motorway. All except 15 miles was on dual carriageway A roads or motorway where the notional speed limit is the national limit of 70.

Mrkun

Nov 3, 2021
I've had my 290 dsg for a year now and i have never seen mpg anything close to 30. :( Best it did as far as i remember is around 25. I usually cruise control at around 90-95 mph, cause here in Slovenia the speed limit is 80. Usual daily consumption (not on highway) for me is around 22, if i drive normally, not pushing her. If i'm pushing her the average goes down to like 15 mpg or less.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise