Cupra 300 exhaust sound

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Does the Golf R have valves on the exhaust? If the whole exhaust is the same on the ST and Golf R, VW is still much louder and deeper sound with crackles and pops.

Golf R estate doesn't. Hatch does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 18, 2015
Slovakia
If you want a 290 SC/ 5 door exhaust on a 280 Sc/5 door you effectively just remove the central muffler in between the resonator and the larger rear muffler (so have 2 boxes running in series)

Is it necessary to do any other modifications on the ECU software when removing the mufler on 280 5 door? Do you know if there is a different one on 290 5 door vs. 280 5 door? My thinking goes that there might be some problems due to removing the muffler and making it less restricted without "telling the engine" with a new software to adjust the input engine data (like pressure,airflow...). Thanks

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The most restrictive part of the exhaust will be the Cat, so I doubt even with just a straight through pipe from the cat back would make enough of a difference for the ECU not to cope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Diameter

The 290's exhaust & the exhaust of the ST are of a wider diameter. The ecu will still aim for what it's set to power & torque wise, unless remapped (or similar). Responsiveness will be improved. It's unlikely to experience runaway boost due to the electronic waste gate. The 280 has less boost low down, but the same max boost, so peak power is roughly similar, explaining the nicer torque curve of the 290.

Last edited:

Chuggs1

Sep 22, 2016
Will be interesting to see what the 300 does with the improved torque figures

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

shadak

Feb 13, 2014
In my 5dr 290 I once drove with the dropped back seats ( couldnt be fussed to put them back up after hauling something ) and all the pops and cracks from the exhaust sounded quite a bit louder! it was mazing tbh, was tempted to leave it like that

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Sorry for the terrible drawing just couldn't be bothered finding the oem diagrams...

d7298434862441857bfe7e6368727eb6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As this graphic is all over facebook, and was only meant as a quick example, decided to do a better version with the updated GPF cars...

1597140851657.png

Doesn't include the 290 GPF ST that is sold in europe, but never seen a photo of one of those so can't really show its configuration. I expect it to look like the 290 ST with the GPF positioned like the 290 GPF 5 door.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.