Cupra as a daily?

MidnightBlack245

Oct 4, 2020
Since I picked up my Cupra 300, I’ve been looking for every excuse to drive it. I used to take the mrs 1 lite Ibiza FR to and from work, and any trips I could to avoid racking up the miles on my old car. But, if I’m paying for it, why shouldn’t I use it as a daily! Does anyone else use theirs day to day, and have any issues?

Hickery1995

Oct 23, 2018
Since I picked up my Cupra 300, I’ve been looking for every excuse to drive it. I used to take the mrs 1 lite Ibiza FR to and from work, and any trips I could to avoid racking up the miles on my old car. But, if I’m paying for it, why shouldn’t I use it as a daily! Does anyone else use theirs day to day, and have any issues?
As far as i know, most people daily them, ive had my 68 plate 290 since new (around 2 years almost) racked 20k miles on it and its running perfect.. just depends on how willing you are to spend most of your time at fuel stations though, can be expensive but worth the fun

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

MidnightBlack245

Oct 4, 2020
As far as i know, most people daily them, ive had my 68 plate 290 since new (around 2 years almost) racked 20k miles on it and its running perfect.. just depends on how willing you are to spend most of your time at fuel stations though, can be expensive but worth the fun

what’s your preferred mode? I’ve heard people saying that you’re not meant to switch it to sport/cupra until the engines warmed up, in order to prevent component damage

Hickery1995

Oct 23, 2018
what’s your preferred mode? I’ve heard people saying that you’re not meant to switch it to sport/cupra until the engines warmed up, in order to prevent component damage
Usually comfort, until i see something worth winding up, then sport or cupra, just yeah let it warm up first, although i've been guilty of sport/cupra before its warmed up enough

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
I've put 66 thousand miles on mine in 3 and a half years, cupra mode in S as standard.

It's been in muddy fields, playing in the snow and touring the coasts.

Just drive it and enjoy it :)

Last edited:

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Do you see any difference in MPG compared with comfort mode and cupra mode?
Personally I do as in comfort it idles at lower RPM and also shifts gears a lot earlier. You can be in 7th at 40mph in comfort but that's not going to happen in Cupra as it will keep you in a decent gear ready to accelerate quickly.

Kibby

Jul 12, 2013
Belfast
Have had mine coming up to 2 years abd its a work horse running from site to site across ireland. Its my everyday car and weekend toy. The car is so versatile it just meets every requirement, im considering a stage 1 remap but concerned that the clutch might not handle it, 82k miles on the clock with no clutch slip so far hahah

MidnightBlack245

Oct 4, 2020
But then it changes the engine back to comfort. This irritates the piss out of me.
Could you not set up the individual profile with the Cupra settings, but the gearbox in Comfort? I’ve got a manual so I’m not sure if there’s an option to set the gearbox on the DSG’s.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
There is no direct control of the gearbox in the profiles. Set the engine to sport or Cupra and it'll put the DSG into sport mode but, if you use the lever to knock the gearbox into drive, it'll change the engine to comfort even though the screen says it's in sport or Cupra. This drives me mad.

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
There is no direct control of the gearbox in the profiles. Set the engine to sport or Cupra and it'll put the DSG into sport mode but, if you use the lever to knock the gearbox into drive, it'll change the engine to comfort even though the screen says it's in sport or Cupra. This drives me mad.
What do you think is changing within th engine when the mode changes?

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Isn't this just the same as having it in Comfort as the throttle response changes too.
I'm not sure tbh, because that can't happen with a manual so I don't see why it would on a dsg, my guess would be the gearbox goes in D but the throttle response stays in Cupra, not 100% though, doesn't make sense to me if it's only throttle that changes in the first place, may feel like the throttle response has changed due to not having the alertness of the gearbox being is S

Reactions: Tonezz

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I'm not sure tbh, because that can't happen with a manual so I don't see why it would on a dsg, my guess would be the gearbox goes in D but the throttle response stays in Cupra, not 100% though, doesn't make sense to me if it's only throttle that changes in the first place, may feel like the throttle response has changed due to not having the alertness of the gearbox being is S
I'll have a play when I get chance.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.