Cupra Formentor- Running in

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Lol, steady on! I think the engine management system will intervene if you do too much. If anyone has watched any of TR Hamza's content on YouTube you'll have seen this happen on his RS3 haha.
That's what I was thinking. Not sure the car will be very fond of you asking it to do it over and over again

manracer

Mar 15, 2021
Also due to the heat and pressure generated is there a rough time that has to pass before another launch can be activated? Or is the Formentor good at launching over and over again in short intervals?
I cant say that i've seen anything to suggest that you cant do them over and over, though I wouldnt like to find out.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I cant say that i've seen anything to suggest that you cant do them over and over, though I wouldnt like to find out.
It's all software controlled. It's possible that they disengage launch control if the temps are too high (gearbox/engine). No idea if it is implemented though.

Reactions: Stonepope

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Just had a short b road bash trailing an Alfa Giulia. Using paddles and keeping it no more than 3k revs. Can't wait to use the full rev range

• Love
Reactions: Zephyr

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021
Just had a short b road bash trailing an Alfa Giulia. Using paddles and keeping it no more than 3k revs. Can't wait to use the full rev range
Nice, was it a Quadrifoglio (quad pipes give it away)? Love them and considered getting one, but not practical and a complete handful in the wet.

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
Nice, was it a Quadrifoglio (quad pipes give it away)? Love them and considered getting one, but not practical and a complete handful in the wet.
Had some minutes on the humongous beast of Quadrifoglio Verde... V6 Biturbo and RWD... not for the faint hearts. Is the ultimate adrenaline burning machine... Loved it but.. hated the price (still shocked with sticker price).

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Had some minutes on the humongous beast of Quadrifoglio Verde... V6 Biturbo and RWD... not for the faint hearts. Is the ultimate adrenaline burning machine... Loved it but.. hated the price (still shocked with sticker price).

QV is an expensive one. Over here Giulia Veloce is comparable price to Formentor. I might have been tempted to go for it, but missus doesn't like sedans, prefers hatches. Even Formentor was a bit of a stretch for her. We ended up with Formentor as Cupra Leon was not available at the time of the order, but I have to say I prefer the look of the Formentor so I'm happy it ended up like that.

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
No mate not the quadrifolio, I also am a fan of that car. Had single tail pipe on both sides so I'm thinking it wasn't the entry model.

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Was the 280HP version... a quite interesting slingshot too
I was right up his arse ( ha not in that way) if I had 1000 miles on the clock I would have been tempted to drop a gear and really put the car about

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Could be 2.2 diesel as well. I think it has dual exhausts as well.

280 HP is about the same performance as Formentor VZ.
0-62 5.7 seconds top speed 147. Rear wheel drive 400nm torque ( same as formentor) won't be able to put it down as well though hence the 0-62 time being nearly a second off and I've seen many videos of people getting faster than the 4.9 seconds claimed by cupra. Some as quick as in the 4.5's

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021
Had a VZ2 delivered yesterday and can definitely say the engine feels tight. Coming from a Golf R I'm hopeful the engine loosens up and gives similar enjoyment.
Takes a lot of will power to keep it under 3k!!

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Had a VZ2 delivered yesterday and can definitely say the engine feels tight. Coming from a Golf R I'm hopeful the engine loosens up and gives similar enjoyment.
It does indeed mate

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021
That's me next week 😉. Got an essential trip over to Bristol from Lincoln the following weekend too so will see how it compares with the R through the Cotswolds 😁. Can't wait

Dec 12, 2021
Hi guys, thought it might be useful if anyone had any questions about running in their formentor to put it in here.

How have people been treating their Formentor's? I've tried to stick largely to the manual saying not to exceed 3,200 revs but have found a couple of times I've strayed to 4000 but then took my foot off. Last night I also accidentally strayed to around 5000rpm in 2nd gear for a brief second ( I was in manual, thinking I was in D). My running temperature was more than fine but Im still a little disappointed it happened ha!

What have people been getting for their mpg early doors? I know mpg is meant to increase after the initial running In period. The majority of my trips have been quite short which I know isn't ideal as I have a short commute to work. I'm trying to find reasons and excuses to go for a long drive. I've been playing around with the different driving modes and sit at about 27-29 mpg after just shy of 300 miles
My Formentor VZ has only done 350km, but seems to be depositing regular small pools of liquid under the engine bay. I am observing the "running-in" rules, and have so far driven mostly in "Comfort" mode. Is this a common issue? I read this morning that some VW Golf's suffered from coolant leaks last year.

rubeck1s

Jul 15, 2022
My Formentor VZ has only done 350km, but seems to be depositing regular small pools of liquid under the engine bay. I am observing the "running-in" rules, and have so far driven mostly in "Comfort" mode. Is this a common issue? I read this morning that some VW Golf's suffered from coolant leaks last year.
Just taste it. If it is sweet, it might be. Most likely it is just the condensation from the AC unit

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
As @rubeck1s has said, it’s likely to be condensation from the a/c unit.

If it’s coolant, it’ll have that characteristic anti-freeze smell and will also be a pink-ish colour (I‘d personally do a visual and sniff test rather than taste it 🙂).

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.