Cupra Hybrid Question

Dec 22, 2021
Hi all, I'm a new user here and have a question, hopefully someone knows the answer.

I have a 71 plate Cupra Leon VZ2 hybrid, which I've owned for around 7 weeks.
In the last couple of days, an issue (or maybe not?) has presented itself.

I charge my car up at work during the day, use around 50% of the charge driving home at night, then use the other 50% of the charge driving back to work in the morning.

Usually the car will run both ways in electric only mode without any fuss, unless i run out of charge on my way to work in the morning.

However, in the last couple of days, the car has been switching into petrol only mode part way into work, on both occasions the car had around 20-25% charge left on the battery.
I wasn't over-revving the engine on either occasion which I'm aware can kick the petrol engine in to action, so can't work out why it was turning off the battery power and switching to petrol only.

I noticed the blue power indicator bar was only moving part way up before switching to the petrol engine, not sure if this is related.

I'm really new to this tech so have no idea if this is an issue or by design.

Other than that, really loving the car!

Thanks in advance.

asm1

Aug 31, 2021
I'm not mechanically capable I'm afraid but I'm sure someone will be able to advise, at a guess though could it somehow be temperature related?

I'm not a mechanic either, but I'd say you are probably correct. Batteries don't particularly like cold (drain faster, even when not used) as such if you're hammering the ancilliaries like heating, defrost etc, then yes it makes sense. The Electric motor will drain charging up the battery on the "Engine" as thats what runs all your stuff. Normally the Petrol engine does that job, but if it is being used less, then it can't .... hence your petrol engine Kicking in to keep things going.

Short answer - its meant to do that.

Slight aside - My Diesel golf with start/stop had been sitting for a week a few years ago. Cold weather/snow. It was fine until I got to traffic lights. Start stop kicked in and I got a message about battery low and it wouldnt start again (told me to switch everything off.) Basically same thing, the battery had drained with the cold weather, I was hammering it with the Defrost/heating/radio, and the S/S told me to feck off. I hadn't been driving far enough to charge the battery. No I didn't get stuck, got going again, and was about 1/2 mile from the motorway, so it got well charged on that trip :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Syphon
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.