Cupra Leon ST

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I had our car in for it's 2nd year service and was given a MK4 Cupra Leon.

I'm a little unsure of the overall experience. I really don't like the way everything is integrated into the infotainment system but there is an impressive list of tech on the thing!

I don't think the material quality and the fit and finish is as good as the MK 3.5 and that little stubby gear lever is just funny! The seats are really nice as is the new steering wheel (with decent sized paddles at last)

It was the plug in hybrid model and seemed plenty quick enough with the battery charged. I personally would have the full fat 300ps.

I think the styling is a bit awkward, it seems very high up. Overall it is a nice car and would probably get used to it after a while but if I was in the market for a new Cupra I'd rather have the facelifted Ateca!

8e51c434e4b43e8bc76c00bb69480c6e.jpg
09cfd26a2f74fda108466a2490b67a84.jpg
82d67e814706f27632f06d1a737107dc.jpg
351aa15e83b730efcd1fd75e851fe2af.jpg
233666a0938fc1af7e3e247b37150396.jpg
9ba2fd3bf4e26ed7b7cd837a1c07a80e.jpg
04e432053f63246f4709963f0adf3272.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: jcbmally

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Nice they gave you a decent car whilst yours was in for work. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. First ST I've seen in black.

I take it you've seen our review of the hatch?

They do need to sort the arch gaps out. :(
Just read the review and I totally agree with it. Tbh the car left me a little cold and I was more than happy to get back into the MK3.5

I honestly think the interior is a step back and even when the full fat version is released I would really struggle to choose it over it rivals unless they do silly lease deals again.

I know most people don't like change but I couldn't see myself with this. I know a few people that have the same issue with the new Golf.

Reactions: Syphon

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Sorry, but every time I see the back of a MK4, hatch or ST, I think of a duck. And the more I see of the interior, the less it impresses. The MK 3 just looks so much more cohesive.

Reactions: Peller

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
I'm increasingly feeling the VW group have messed up this time round on their hot hatches in a race to compete with Tesla by putting everything in a touch screen creating a user hostile experience, skimping on quality (the Golfs wheel buttons are even touch control, thankfully SEAT/CUPRA didn't go that far), and messing up the line up - the Golf R is now faster and more expensive than the S3 and the CUPRA only 1.5K less than the S3 (albeit with more standard spec). Go figure...

Reactions: jcbmally and Peller

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I think the hot hatch race may have reached it's peak. The cars are all more or less the same now. I think the only interesting one left is the i30N if you like a sore back!?!

The VAG group are obviously recovering costs from dieselgate and they're cutting costs in production.

I've been in the new A3 and even raised an eyebrow about the quality.

It's sad to see, especially as these cars are not cheap in the first place. I've always slated Ford and the French for crap interiors but they seem to be overtaking the VAG group these days.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I had the FR e-Hybrid for 2 weeks last week, after a few days everything being on that screen was fine, you just have to get used to it (like using a smart phone for the first time after a old Nokia).

Got to say the cabin (if the wrap around lights are fitted) is a huge upgrade over the MK3, but some of the materials felt a little cheap.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I think the hot hatch race may have reached it's peak. The cars are all more or less the same now. I think the only interesting one left is the i30N if you like a sore back!?!

It hasn't but 99% of manufacturers are churning out warm hatches these days. its one thing shacking 300ps engine into a hatch and calling it a hot hatch but Renault for example have made some cracking hot hatches with a lot less power than rivals (R26 R for example).

Years ago (I'm only 31) a hot hatch was something not many people could afford/dared to own but these days they are available on cheap lease deals, which takes the shine off owning one.

CUPRA needed to release a limited run car, 300PS + electric motor or 2.5T + electric and make it special. track focused etc, like the R26 R.

Jon89

Sep 27, 2020
Kent
No start button on steering wheel I see

I hope it gets included on the petrol version as it doesn't appear to even be available on the UK spec PHEV at the moment. I've only driven the new FR for a few hours but in that time I don't think the touchscreen would be much of a problem for me. I'd definitely want a physical drive mode button though, as I don't like the idea of swiping through the screen for that. The wheels I like only appear to be available on European spec cars as well. I hope both of these become available because it's not a cheap car and I'd want to be completely happy with it for the price. It's seems even more expensive when I've gotten a quote for a new M135i with some options for less than the price of the Leon in the VZ2 trim.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I hope it gets included on the petrol version as it doesn't appear to even be available on the UK spec PHEV at the moment. I've only driven the new FR for a few hours but in that time I don't think the touchscreen would be much of a problem for me. I'd definitely want a physical drive mode button though, as I don't like the idea of swiping through the screen for that. The wheels I like only appear to be available on European spec cars as well. I hope both of these become available because it's not a cheap car and I'd want to be completely happy with it for the price. It's seems even more expensive when I've gotten a quote for a new M135i with some options for less than the price of the Leon in the VZ2 trim.
Still no buttons on a recent build Cupra Ateca? Dunno whats going on!
b76bab109306207c6588327a6fe7d59e.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.