Cupra R New Front Tyres

joshwill

Nov 12, 2014
South East
Looking at a new set of front tyres for my Cupra R but id love some advice on what people are already running. Previous set came with the car when purchased were cheap and nasty. As soon as it was wet it was like an ice rink.

Im looking at the Continental Conti Sport Contact 5P 235/35 R19 91Y

Happy to pay up to £150/160 a tyre

Any advice on these or other brands?

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
Agree with Pilot super sports, make my old pirelli pzero gts look like budgets. Paid 115 each from mytyres.com

Last edited:

Zipcode

Jun 23, 2008
Brackley, Northant's
Mine had the Pirelli's on when I bought them. Granted there was only 2-3mm left but I thought they were awful. I've ordered a set of Uniroyal rain sport 3's as a few guys recommend them highly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

springer

May 30, 2010
Have tried Uniroyal rainsport3 very good,Goodyear eagle F1 Assymetric 2 are better imo.
Might try the Michelin next,but the Goodyear are brilliant

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Was not impressed with the P zero's that the car came on, changed for F1's as soon as. Likewise new Cupra is on Bridgestones, as soon as they are worn/knackered (not same thing :cry: ) it'll be on either Good years or Michelins.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Almost as good as MPG ones...... what are you expecting from the Banzai Bus - to the nearest foot of course.... :D

Well based on the last 6 months endless calculations, if I inflate the tyres to 32psi all round and travel with a steady 8mph tail wind on a 2 degree decline...........:rifle::censored:[:@]:blahblah::blahblah::rifle::rifle::crash::stick::brucelee::mad::birdy:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
:whistle:
Well based on the last 6 months endless calculations, if I inflate the tyres to 32psi all round and travel with a steady 8mph tail wind on a 2 degree decline...........:rifle::censored:[:@]:blahblah::blahblah::rifle::rifle::crash::stick::brucelee::mad::birdy:
Only 32? Allowing for how much further north of the equator you are and factoring in mean sea level plus atmospheric pressure, the McMonagle index , I'd have said at least 33.725. Ah but did I factor in the wind? I suppose it depends when you last ate, all those sausages can play havoc.... :p.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
:whistle:
Only 32? Allowing for how much further north of the equator you are and factoring in mean sea level plus atmospheric pressure, the McMonagle index , I'd have said at least 33.725. Ah but did I factor in the wind? I suppose it depends when you last ate, all those sausages can play havoc.... :p.

Back to the drawing board :blink:

But on topic, do a search.

It's literally been done more times than Katie Price (impossible I hear you all cry! Well maybe, but I bet it's bloody close).

Everyone has a different opinion and no matter what anyone says the same tyre will not react the same way on a different car, so a Bridgestone Potenza maybe great on a Fiesta ST, but could be utter pants on a Leon.

My advice, do your research on a dedicated tyre website where you can read hundreds of reviews and get the best guide on if a tyre will be any good on your motor, ultimately there is an element of trial and error.

Clazzer

Mar 17, 2014
Stoke on Trent
Can anyone tell me which induction system is best.....

I'm going to try Toyo T1S's for summer when I get my clutch changed as I have a new set in the shed!

Deleted member 94519

Actually, I had heard that. But then I've also heard that putting the back seats down makes you go at least 0.5 mph faster. So yea.

Deleted member 94519

One thing I found with F1's was that the loss of grip was much less progressive - they'd hang on much longer than the Potenzas I had on before, but the Potenzas would start letting you know when they were reaching the limit and then let go smoothly, whereas the F1s were like

"grip, grip, grip, BACKWARDS 720 into a hedge"

I've got old now and went with Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance's for the current set, which feel a lot more like the progressive Potenza's although haven't really pushed them to the limit - which I would imagine would be less than the F1's. But then I think they're probably more suitable for the 99% of the driving I do.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.