Cupra R ST exhaust onto a Cupra 290 ST Black 2016 ??

Tinbum51

Jul 27, 2019
Hi everyone - so I have been running the R ST quad exhaust on my 300 ST 4 drive (19 plate) very successfully and happily. However the car is going back and I am getting a 16 plate Cupra ST 290 black as a replacement.

QN - can I put the R ST exhaust onto the 290?

This exhaust doesnt have a resonator as the 4 drive was twin gpf.
Am i right thinking the 290 ST system has a resonator at the front end - so exhaust should fit to it?

(Pictures courtesy of DamoH) (y)

290.PNG
300.PNG

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Two differences between the models 290 and 300;
- 300 has 4 drive
- as mentioned the gpf

You have no 4 drive drive shaft to clash with your non existent resonator.

In short it will work and sound louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Two differences between the models 290 and 300;
- 300 has 4 drive
- as mentioned the gpf

You have no 4 drive drive shaft to clash with your non existent resonator.

In short it will work and sound louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What Titchy said ^

The routing of the pipework of the 4drive and none 4drive cars is the same, its just the size and position of the resonator that is different:

On the none 4drive there is room for the resonator to be the more traditional one further forward.
On the 4drive the prop shaft to the rear is in the way, so it has the larger resonator further back.

1632128699855.png

Why do I say this? Well you may find that fitting a system designed for a GPF car (so no resonator) to a none GPF car it maybe too loud or droney. If that's the case, then you can get a resonator added back in further forward :). You may even be able to get an OEM res from all the people who've removed theirs lol.

One thing worth noting (as I don't know with any kind of accuracy), due to the position of the GPF, I'm not sure if the Cat back part/connections is in a different position on the GPF cars compare to the none GPF cars...

This is my car when it had the res delete:
1632128854209.png

And this is a GPF car:
1632128950712.png

Looks like the same position to me, but just bare it in mind just in case.

Last edited:

Tinbum51

Jul 27, 2019
Thanks both.

So just to say it is only the rear section of the exhaust I'm removing off the 300 and fitting to the 290 not the full system - hoping it goes directly onto the existing resonator of the 290 as don't really want a res delete (too loud for lots of miles driving).

Looking at the diagrams it should be possible shouldnt it?

Nick

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thanks both.

So just to say it is only the rear section of the exhaust I'm removing off the 300 and fitting to the 290 not the full system - hoping it goes directly onto the existing resonator of the 290 as don't really want a res delete (too loud for lots of miles driving).

Looking at the diagrams it should be possible shouldnt it?

Nick
It should be depending on where you're cutting it to fit :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members