cupra roof distorting

shlobber

Mar 23, 2018
hi all,strange problem with the roof on my 2019 cupra lux.when the climate is overcast and not too warm,the roof is normal shape,but when it is sunny and hot,(not very often!),i get two shallow dents appear sideways across the roof.they seem to coincide with the internal strengthning rails.my car has a sunroof.funny thing is,i drove to my local seat dealer today,where they had a brand new cupra parked up,and it appeared to have the exact same problem! they did'nt seem to have any ideas for the cause,so i was just wondering if anyone who uses the forum might have come across anything similar? anyway cheers and stay safe.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Yes, I’ve read about this on VWROC forum a good while ago. Just found the discussion thread - the post by forum member quattrogmbh sums up quite nicely what causes it - 7th post down on page 2 at the link below;

I've also read a of another instance - either on a VW Golf or Polo forum but can‘t find the relevant post - sorry.

shlobber

Mar 23, 2018
thanks for that.i thought that's what might be happening.probably no way of rectifying it then?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I don’t think there is.

It‘s the normal action of sheet metal expanding and contracting when exposed to heat. It’d probably require Seat (and VW) to build their cars with additional structural cross members supporting the steel roof panel so the unsupported span between the cross members would be smaller. They’re not going to do this as it’d add cost and weight to the car.

shlobber

Mar 23, 2018
yes,i see what you are saying.just seems a bit strange to have purchased a nearly new car with a bent roof ! oh well,at least it's mechanically all good.(touch wood).

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.